Lick-Wilmerding High School
Lick-Wilmerding High School seeks a Math Teacher starting in Fall 2019.
- Teach 4 classes with two or three preps which may change from year to year
- Be available to students for individual help outside of class
- Serve as an advisor to a group of approximately 12 students and their families
The ideal candidate will have:
- Powerful understanding of mathematics through calculus and statistics
- Ability and desire to teach at all levels of the high school curriculum
- Experience with student-centered math pedagogy that values understanding and reasoning over rules and algorithms
- A commitment to equity and culturally responsive instruction in the math classroom, which gives all students the opportunity to learn and demonstrate what they have learned
The ideal candidate will also:
- Possess a growth mindset
- Engage in continual professional development to grow mathematical knowledge for teaching, pedagogical content, and knowledge of students as learners of mathematics
- Value collaboration with colleagues in order to contribute to a culture of continual improvement and learning
- Personal qualities of integrity, resilience, approachability, kindness, and humor
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit lwhs.org/employment to apply for the position. Please include—all in PDF format—a cover letter, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and contact information for three references. In your statement of educational philosophy, please address the following:
- How do you promote the development of a learning mindset among students?
- How can teachers encourage and support students to make sense of the concepts for themselves?
- What are your thoughts on authentic assessment in math?
- What is the value for all students in studying math?
The application process begins immediately and is open until filled. No calls or emails, please.
Lick-Wilmerding High School has an institutional commitment to diversity and encourages applications from candidates of diverse and underrepresented backgrounds. Located in San Francisco, LWHS is a college preparatory, co-educational day school serving 515 students from grades 9-12. Founded in 1895 as a technical arts school and tuition free until 1972, LWHS has a long history of welcoming and supporting students from all walks of life and prides itself on being a private school with public purpose. At LWHS, a diverse student body, faculty, and staff in all its forms is central to what we believe constitutes an excellent education, and we are institutionally committed to ongoing reflective work in order to further define and articulate this complex and worthwhile vision.
At LWHS, the average full-time teacher workload is 4 sections of classes with an average of 16–17 students each. Successful teaching candidates will have a commitment to the following areas, further outlined in our Standards for Teaching:
- Lifelong Learning
- Commitment to Equity
- Adaptability and Flexibility
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com