Website Mark Day School
& P.E. Teacher Grades 4-8
Full-Time Position Beginning August 2022
Mark Day School seeks a collaborative, innovative educator with a passion for leading our school athletic programs and teaching P.E. to upper elementary and middle school students. Join us and teach in a community characterized by academic excellence, student-centered teaching methods, close collaboration between colleagues, a block schedule, a 1:1 laptop program, and a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusivity, and anti-racist education. Teachers nurture, engage, and challenge all learners by mixing traditional best practices with progressive, student-centered approaches such as project-based learning, student-centered inquiry, and inclusive discussion formats. The successful applicant for this position will help advance the school’s mission with positive energy, creativity, dedication to a diverse and equitable community, love for children, a strong work ethic, and a desire to collaborate in partnership with the wider school community.
P.E. is a core subject at Mark Day School. All students have P.E. every day and participate in a daily running program to build fitness over time through consistent application of effort and skill. They learn the value of fitness as part of a healthy, active life and participate in daily activity units across multiple sports designed to teach skills, teamwork, resilience, a sense of fair play, and ethical behavior. Our athletics program currently offers cross-country, flag football, and volleyball in the fall, basketball in the winter, and golf and track & field in the spring.
Opportunities and Responsibilities
- Challenge all students with high expectations while maintaining a climate of responsibility, safety, kindness, enthusiasm, and fun.
- Model personal standards of excellence: warmth, clarity of expectations, consistency, and accountability.
- Participate fully in a learning community committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racist education.
- Apply a wide range of highly effective approaches to teaching, balancing enduring and innovative best practices.
- Teach daily P.E. to students in grades 4-8.
- Lead and coordinate the schoolwide athletic program and the 4th-8th P.E. program.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage coaches for the athletic program.
- Employ equitable and culturally responsive teaching practices.
- Collaborate actively with P.E. department colleagues.
- Engage in ongoing professional development.
- Form supportive and responsive relationships with students and families.
- Differentiate instruction to challenge every learner and provide constructive, timely feedback that fosters a growth mindset.
- Use school technologies to enhance student learning, faculty collaboration, and responsive communication.
- Work with learning specialists, counselors, and parents when necessary to design differentiated programs for students who require specialized support.
- Collaborate with colleagues to carry forward major project initiatives in the cross-disciplinary literacies as well as enhance the students’ overall experience.
- Observe, evaluate, encourage and monitor students’ development and progress.
- Communicate proactively and regularly with students, parents, and colleagues regarding students’ progress and needs.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Back to School Night
- Parent information evenings
- Committee work
- Weekly faculty meetings (when not in conflict with AD roles)
- Recess supervision
- Coaching two seasons per year
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Relevant P.E. experience with a minimum of two years preferred
- Relevant subject area knowledge
- Proven track record of working effectively to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in a community committed to diversity, equity, and social justice.
- Strong skills with curriculum design, initiative, follow-through, organization, collaboration, and communication.
More About Mark Day School
Mark Day School is an independent, all-gender, K-8 school located in the Bay Area in San Rafael, CA, with an enrollment of 380 students. Innovative, inclusive, and full of heart, Mark Day School unites an enriched, challenging academic program with a kind and inclusive community. The school nurtures a love of learning, engagement in the community, and development of compassion and an ethical framework. Students learn and practice the intellectual, social, and emotional skills they will apply to the unique challenges and opportunities of their time; graduates stand out not only for their intellectual curiosity and pursuit of ideas but also for their joy of learning and a deep sense of responsibility to be active, engaged citizens.
Mark Day School has established a consistent practice of thoughtful innovation in its curricular program, focusing on current century skills and concepts including four cross-disciplinary literacies: cross-cultural literacy, media and information literacy, eco-literacy, and social and emotional literacy. Highlights include the award-winning Media Literacy program; well-established local and global partnerships with the Hamilton School, Marin Head Start, eSibonisweni School and Kliptown Youth Program in South Africa, and Beijing Experimental Primary School #2 in China, and Pan American School in Costa Rica, among others; Boxlight and FrontRow technology in every classroom, with a one-to-one laptop program beginning in sixth grade; Mandarin and Spanish language beginning in kindergarten; an integrated Social and Emotional Learning program; a commitment to differentiation across the school; and more.
Mark Day School is a vibrant and diverse community, and all community members continue to work towards the furthering of an inclusive and supportive school. Mark Day School is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity and multiculturalism. Mark Day School salary and benefits are very competitive by both NAIS and regional standards. For more information about Mark Day School, please visit our website (www.markdayschool.org).
Interested candidates should visit our website and send a letter of interest and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org