Chinese American International School
Chinese American International School
Lower School TA
This is an English language position, NO Chinese language proficiency required.
Join the vibrant community at the Chinese American International School’s 150 Oak campus as a member of our Lower School team as a teaching associate in an English classroom. Become part of a team striving to be the world’s most innovative, inspiring, and influential Chinese English dual-language immersion school.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate finds resonance with CAIS’s mission to Embrace Chinese, Become your Best Self, and Create your Place in the World. As CAIS aims to empower independent, effective, and inspired learners, we look for a candidate who aims to become proficient in student-centered pedagogy such as differentiation, use of assessment to inform teaching, and Workshop-based instruction. The candidate will enter an environment that values social emotional learning alongside academic challenge. The candidate will be mentored by and coordinate student learning with an experienced classroom lead teacher.
CAIS offers a dynamic dual culture setting, in which faculty are immersed in a culture of language learners. We look for a candidate who will embrace and participate in CAIS’s work to create an equitable, inclusive environment where all faculty, students, and families are supported in their individual identities.
The CAIS Board of Trustees and administration are expressly dedicated to ensuring that CAIS is a great place work. As a critical component of our Strategic Vision, the school has committed to attracting, developing, retaining, and rewarding top-tier faculty and excellent educators with a benefits package including:
- Salary aligned with the Bay Area’s competitive standards
- Opportunities for professional development, support, and growth
- Comprehensive insurance package (covering 100% of premiums for individual employee)
Position responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Develop a positive intellectual, emotional, and social environment within the classroom and a class community in which all children feel valued and a sense of belonging.
- Encompass a positive discipline approach in guiding student behavior.
- Work collaboratively and maintain standards of respect, courtesy, and mutual consideration with the school community, including students, staff, and parents.
- In coordination with the lead teacher, plan and implement engaging learning experiences in alignment with the curriculum for individual, small and large group activities.
- Assist in the daily operations of the classroom.
- Meet the varied needs of children in the classroom by scaffolding and extending classroom lessons.
- Provide for the physical safety of children.
- Lead a study hall and perform duties in the Extended Day program.
- Actively supervise students during lunch and/or recess times.
- Attend meetings as necessary.
- Assist with school’s special events as needed.
- Substitute for the teacher by independently leading the class.
- Keep current in pedagogical thinking, strategies and techniques.
Demonstrate an affirming attitude toward the school, a willingness to receive feedback, a professional demeanor and integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Experience teaching or working with children, desire to develop as an educator
- Commitment to meeting the needs of individual learners and promoting social and emotional development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Dedication to equity and inclusion and ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Commitment to school mission, policies, and initiatives
VALUED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We value, but do not require, the following attributes:
- Personal experience with second language acquisition
As the nation’s first dual language Chinese and English Pre-K through 8th grade school, CAIS embodies this mission by working continuously to maintain our role as a leader in immersion education. At CAIS we value honest self assessment, thoughtful self reflection, intentional planning and focused implementation. We are known as an ambitious school, and in recent years we have introduced and implemented a number of significant initiatives in the areas of overseas programing, student support services, systematic assessment in Chinese, reading and writing workshop across languages, educational technology, integrated curriculum units across subjects and languages, the arts, diversity equity and inclusion, and daily scheduled team collaboration time as a part of a professional learning community, to name a few.
Our three campuses are located in the heart of San Francisco and accessible by public transportation in San Francisco. The lively neighborhood echoes the school’s vital energy and provides ready access to cultural treasures such as the Asian Art Museum, SF Jazz, the San Francisco Symphony and more.
For more information, visit https://www.cais.org/about-us/employment
CAIS’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is central to our mission. People of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email cover letter, resume, and list of references to email@example.com. In subject line please indicate “Lower School English TA” Please no calls.
To apply for this job please visit cais.org..