SF Friends School
Teaching Assistants are important members of the SFFS teaching team. We seek teachers compelled by the Friends school mission, which includes an exemplary education supported by a community dedicated to peaceful problem-solving, service to others, simplicity, respect for the individual, and silent reflection.
Overview of Responsibilities:
Our Lower School has two classes at each grade level, K–4. Lower School assistants support lead teachers in both sections of grades K–2, with a shared assistant between both sections in grades 3 and 4. Assistants will be involved in most, if not all, of the following duties:
- Social emotional learning support for students
- Supervision of children, including recess, lunchtime, arrival, and dismissal
- Maintaining classroom spaces and preparing materials for lessons
- Support with evaluations, reports, and conferences
- Teaching individual, small, and large groups of children in many subjects
- Support the planning and implementation of curriculum and lessons
- Accompanying students and attending some specialist classes, as needed
- Providing student observations, feedback, and supporting the Portfolio process
- Provide short-term coverage for lead teachers, as needed
- Assist in coordination of field trips, service learning programs, and outdoor education
- Participation in all team, grade-level, and faculty meetings
Additional responsibilities may be negotiated based on individual interests and experience. TAs will attend a few evening special events, like Back to School Night and New Family Orientation evenings. Assistants may attend parent conferences and may support teachers in designing curriculum, assessments and preparations for report writing, as requested. TAs are encouraged to join committees and school-wide activities. With a direct teaching mentor, TA coordinator and the Lower School head in support, we are eager to work with assistants who wish to develop their skills as educators, or are enrolled in a training program that requires reflection and experimentation with lesson and curriculum design for student learning and growth in all realms. We seek to staff our school with assistant teachers who are flexible and willing to adapt to the needs of their mentor teacher, students, and the overall school; educators who have a pioneering spirit, take initiative, have an interest in Quaker educational pedagogy, and are developing creative problem solving skills will find SFFS to be a lively and engaging community.
Please email a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com with attention to Jennifer Arnest, Lower School head.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org