The Nueva School
Music at Nueva
The Lower School music program encourages a broad appreciation of music across grades. The curricular focus is on choral and general music instruction, including skill building around listening, rhythm, notation, movement, dictation, music history, improvisation, composition, analysis, and performance. All students are exposed to a variety of musical tools designed to foster musical growth, including Orff instruments, hand percussion, recorded music, notation software, and theory coursework.
The music schedule provides students frequent opportunities for skill building and group musical experiences, including general music for grades preK–1 twice a week. Students in grades 1–4 have general music instruction once a week and choir twice a week. The specialist will also offer a weekly 5th grade music elective.
We seek a full-time Lower School Music Specialist to develop a challenging scope and sequence that meets the needs of gifted learners by:
• enlisting student interest and strengths;
• integrating breadth, depth, and complexity of the study of singing and music;
• exposing students to diverse musical styles while building musical literacy;
• differentiating instruction to scaffold challenges and invite a range of abilities;
• fostering a culture of kindness;
• and modeling enthusiasm for music and the program.
• Develop, refine, and teach music curriculum and chorus with the highest standards for each student
• Design and implement instruction that emphasizes excellence, engagement, and student voice
• Convey personal interest and enthusiasm for the music and choral programs
• Prepare and direct student music performances
• Support additional opportunities for informal student performances
• Coordinate guest musicians and visiting performers
• Integrate appropriate technology to enhance learning
• Maintain a regular classroom blog and write narrative evaluations
• Communicate and collaborate effectively with students, teachers, and parents
• Support the well-being of students
• Demonstrate interest and ability to lead student activities and contribute beyond the classroom
• Lead by example in commitment to Nueva’s mission: “Our school community inspires passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the student’s imaginative mind.”
• Bachelor’s degree required and advanced university degree preferred
• Experience leading chorus and/or teaching music
• A minimum of three years successful teaching or choral directing experience
• Informal or formal experience working with elementary age students
• Excellent communication skills
• Flexibility and creativity in working in a dynamic environment where new ideas, mistakes, and iteration are embraced.
• A desire to integrate curriculum with other subjects and to teach collaboratively
• Openness to feedback and improvement, modeling lifelong learning
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for at least three professional references here.
Please send any paper materials (not required) via regular mail to:
Lower School Head
The Nueva School
About The Nueva School
The Nueva School, an internationally recognized, nonprofit, independent day school, has served gifted learners since 1967. Today, Nueva serves more than 800 students PK–12 and expects to grow to over 950 students in the next few years. Nueva is located in the neighboring towns of Hillsborough and San Mateo, equidistant between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, serving six different counties throughout the Bay Area of Northern California.
A constructivist school, Nueva is known for its distinctive inquiry-based interdisciplinary studies, project-based learning, and pioneering work in social-emotional learning and design thinking. The Nueva community instills a passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the imaginative mind. Our school has received the US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award and the American Institute of Architects Award for School Design and Sustainability, has been recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program and appointed an Ashoka Changemaker School, co-founded the Common Ground Speaker Series, hosts the biennial Innovative Learning Conference, and was highlighted by the Pulitzer Prize–winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his book That Used to Be Us in the chapter “Average Is Over.”
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com