The Nueva Schooll
The Nueva School
Lower School Mathematics Specialist, Grades PreK-4 – 2021-22
Mathematics at Nueva
The mathematics program provides a student-centered, hands-on, constructivist environment for all students to explore, invent, discuss, and debate as they develop a deep understanding of and appreciation for the intrinsic beauty of mathematics. The program design strives to develop powerful mathematical thinkers by teaching students to use a variety of tools and approaches to problem-solve, reason, and communicate their ideas and to create and foster a deep sense of numeracy—as mathematician John Allen Paulos puts it, “Viewing and questioning the world with a mathematical lens.” Mathematics are integrated within mathematical strands and across disciplines.
We seek a full-time Lower School Math Specialist to design, refine, and teach a challenging and differentiated mathematics curriculum, working with the Lower School Math team and grade level teachers. Since Nueva is a school committed to serving gifted learners, the ideal candidate will bring interest in working with elementary-aged students and excitement and ability to teach mathematics at advanced levels.
- Develop, refine, and teach constructivist mathematics curriculum that aligns with research-based best practices in mathematics instruction with the highest standards for each student
- Design and implement instruction that emphasizes critical thinking and real-world problem solving, and integrates student interest
- Plan, demonstrate, co-teach and coach with classroom teachers in order to support implementation of the mathematics curriculum
- Provide mathematics education professional development for classroom teachers through workshops
- Convey personal interest and enthusiasm for mathematics and intellectual inquiry
- Create hands-on, project-based learning experiences
- Integrate appropriate technology to enhance learning
- Collaborate effectively with students, teachers, and parents
- Support the well-being of students
- Demonstrate interest and ability to lead student activities and contribute beyond the classroom
- Lead by example in commitment to Nueva’s mission:
“Our school community inspires passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the student’s imaginative mind.”
- Bachelor’s degree required and advanced university degree preferred
- Strong understanding of learning modalities in younger children
- A minimum of three years successful teaching experience preferred
- Informal or formal experience working with elementary age students
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexibility and creativity in working in a dynamic environment where new ideas, mistakes, and iteration are embraced.
- A desire to integrate curriculum with other subjects and to teach collaboratively
- Openness to feedback and improvement, modeling lifelong learning
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and the contact information and job title for at least three professional references at https://nuevaschool.applytojob.com/apply. If you have questions about this position, please contact Megan Terra, Lower School Division Head, at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Nueva School is an Equal Opportunity Employer – we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability or sex. We welcome applications from people of color and those with experience outside the education field.
About The Nueva School
The Nueva School, an internationally recognized, nonprofit, independent day school, has served gifted learners since 1967. Today, Nueva serves nearly 1000 students PreK–12. Nueva is located in the neighboring towns of Hillsborough and San Mateo, equidistant between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, serving six counties throughout the Bay Area of Northern California.
A constructivist school, Nueva is known for its distinctive inquiry-based interdisciplinary studies, project-based learning, and pioneering work in social-emotional learning and design thinking. The Nueva community instills a passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the imaginative mind. Our school has received the US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award and the American Institute of Architects Award for School Design and Sustainability, has been recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program and appointed an Ashoka Changemaker School, co-founded the Common Ground Speaker Series, hosts the biennial Innovative Learning Conference, and was highlighted by the Pulitzer Prize–winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his book That Used to Be Us in the chapter “Average Is Over.”
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com