Chinese American International School
Chinese American International School
Lower School (K-5th Grade) Teacher
This is an English language position, NO Chinese language proficiency required.
Join the vibrant community at the Chinese American International School’s 150 Oak campus as a member of our Lower School faculty teaching in English. Become part of a team striving to be the world’s most innovative, inspiring, and influential Chinese English dual-language immersion school.
|OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate finds resonance with CAIS’s mission to Embrace Chinese, Become your Best Self, and Create your Place in the World. As CAIS aims to empower independent, effective, and inspired learners, we look for a candidate adept at student-centered pedagogy such as differentiation, use of assessment to inform teaching, and Workshop-based instruction. Our new team member will collaborate with grade level Chinese and English partner teachers and enjoy a wealth of professional development opportunities. The candidate will enter an environment that values social emotional learning alongside academic challenge. Within the framework of a strong curricular vision supported by English and Chinese directors, the candidate will enjoy considerable autonomy in developing the classroom curriculum.
CAIS offers a dynamic dual culture setting, in which faculty are immersed in a culture of language learners. We look for a candidate who will embrace and participate in CAIS’s work to create an equitable, inclusive environment where all faculty, students, and families are supported in their individual identities.
The CAIS Board of Trustees and administration are expressly dedicated to ensuring that CAIS is a great place to work. As a critical component of our strategic vision, the school has committed to attracting, developing, retaining, and rewarding top-tier faculty and excellent educators with a benefits package including:
· Salary scale benchmarked to the Bay Area’s competitive standards
· Robust opportunities for professional development, support, and growth
· Comprehensive insurance package (covering 100% of premiums for individual employee)
· Numerous opportunities to participate in international travel
· Commuting cost assistance
· Consideration for relocation
Position responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
· Demonstrate teaching excellence, a growth mindset, professionalism, and integrity.
· Support the educational program by challenging, supporting, and engaging students.
· Successfully teach all assigned classes in accordance with grade appropriate best practices.
· Encompass a positive discipline approach in guiding student behavior.
· Develop a positive intellectual, emotional, and social environment within the classroom and a class community in which all children feel valued and a sense of belonging.
· Actively support and collaborate on school initiatives.
· Work collaboratively and maintain standards of respect, courtesy, and mutual consideration with the school community, including students, staff, and parents.
· Communicate effectively, promptly, and proactively with families.
· Use Reading and Writing Workshop models to inform English Language Arts classroom instruction and assessments.
· Work with Chinese partner teacher to develop and deliver integrated Social Studies and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion units.
· Prepare and deliver Math lessons, based on grade-level skills, with a focus on mathematical thinking and communication, visual and hands-on strategies, vocabulary, and shared inquiry.
· Prepare assessments, grades, and progress reports according to school procedures.
· Implement and integrate technology into curriculum.
· Attend faculty and division meetings including required meetings/events before the beginning of the school year and during the term of employment.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Teaching experience with demonstrated success
· Commitment to meeting the needs of individual learners and promoting social and emotional development
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Dedication to equity and inclusion and ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
· Commitment to school mission, policies, and initiatives
|VALUED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We value, but do not require, the following attributes:
· Teaching credential, Master’s in Education (M.Ed.), or equivalent
· Personal experience with second language acquisition
As the nation’s first dual language Chinese and English Pre-K through 8th grade school, CAIS embodies this mission by working continuously to maintain our role as a leader in immersion education. At CAIS we value honest self assessment, thoughtful self reflection, intentional planning and focused implementation. We are known as an ambitious school, and in recent years we have introduced and implemented a number of significant initiatives in the areas of overseas programing, student support services, systematic assessment in Chinese, reading and writing workshop across languages, educational technology, integrated curriculum units across subjects and languages, the arts, diversity equity and inclusion, and daily scheduled team collaboration time as a part of a professional learning community, to name a few.
Our three campuses are located in the heart of San Francisco and accessible by public transportation in San Francisco. The lively neighborhood echoes the school’s vital energy and provides ready access to cultural treasures such as the Asian Art Museum, SF Jazz, the San Francisco Symphony and more.
For more information, visit https://www.cais.org/about-us/employment
CAIS’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is central to our mission. People of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email cover letter, resume, and list of references to email@example.com. In subject line please indicate “Lower School English Teacher” Please no calls.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org