Khan Lab School
English Language Arts Specialist/Advisor (Lower School) 2020-21- Leave coverage*
Khan Lab School (KLS) seeks a full-time English Language Arts Specialist/Advisor*. The English Language Arts Specialist/Advisor teaches a mixed-age group of students and oversees the academic, social, physical, and emotional well-being of the students. The English Language Arts Specialist/Advisor’s primary responsibilities are to mentor students, personalize each student’s education, provide English Language arts and integrated Social Studies instruction as part of a team covering grades K-5th, and lead collaborative and interdisciplinary project-based learning.
*This position is to cover a leave of absence.
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School (KLS) is a non-profit, mastery-based school founded by Salman Khan in 2014 to extend Khan Academy’s student-centered philosophy into a physical school environment. Furthering his vision for Khan Academy, Khan wrote and published The One World Schoolhouse, in which he argues for mastery-based, blended, and mixed-age learning coupled with a departure from traditional letter grades. Today the KLS community is bringing that vision to life and also sharing knowledge within education more broadly.
In each academic area at KLS, there is a minimum pace our students must meet, but learning is decoupled from age; the time it takes a student to finish a course will vary but the depth of mastery is constant. We believe that students cannot “master” a course by performing well on one assessment. Instead, students are expected to demonstrate mastery of all skills and content before they can obtain foundational credit, thereby removing “gaps” in their education.
Every student is assigned to a mixed-age cohort, which they can expect to be part of for two to three years. There are currently seven cohorts for students ages 5 to 18+. Students also partner with faculty to explore their passions and deepen their learning. The quality of learning remains high but as a lab school, instructional methods are constantly being reimagined and tested. Learning is supported through weekly advising, real-world application, and a culture that fosters student agency. Faculty and students do not simply adhere to the status quo in education. As a lab school, KLS is a model for innovation in education.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The English Language Arts Specialist/Advisor teaches a mixed-age group of students and oversees the academic, social, physical, and emotional well-being of the students. The English Language Arts Specialist/Advisor’s primary responsibilities are to mentor students, personalize each student’s education, provide English Language arts and integrated Social Studies instruction as part of a team covering grades K-5th, and lead collaborative and interdisciplinary project-based learning.
We have found that professional educators who are adept as serving as learners, demonstrating skills of observation and inquiry, and who love to teach, collaborate, guide, and mentor children as they learn and play, are well suited for teaching at Khan Lab School. All educator staff are regularly expected to exercise discretion and independent judgement in the performance of their teaching duties. This position reports to the Head of Lower School and includes partnering with a teaching team and wider school community in support of the school’s mission and vision.
Role and Responsibilities
- Curating a world-class elementary level learning experience using best practices, based on experience and research
- Teaching lessons in reading, writing, and language development, social studies, social-emotional learning, and work habits in an interactive learning environment
- Creating and implementing interdisciplinary and academically rigorous curriculum for a mixed-age classroom
- Designing and leading experiential, project-based learning activities
- Use assessment data effectively to inform and guide learning and to provide ongoing feedback to students and complete progress reports
- Advising each student once a week to set, monitor, and evaluate progress on goals (ex: mentoring, reflection, feedback, goal setting)
- Commitment to helping children of all abilities reach their full potential
- Building a positive, safe, inclusive, and fun classroom community
- Create and maintain an orderly learning environment that accounts for students’ social, emotional, and executive functioning needs
- Communicating consistently with parents about students’ goals and progress to involve families in the students’ education
- Participating in teacher team meetings, school events, admission events, and exhibitions/presentations
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
The ideal candidates should possess many of the following qualifications:
- Have at least 5+ years experience teaching elementary school
- Possess a bachelor’s degree, a master’s degree in education, or equivalent
- Able to engage students in rigorous content and well-planned, well-paced lessons in English Language Arts and integrated Social Studies
- Prior experience with developing project-based learning activities and integrating educational technology
- Prior experience analyzing student data and using a variety of assessment techniques
- Prior experience leading or participating in curriculum development
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results and incorporating social-emotional learning into student experiences
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- A clear understanding of child development
- A sense of humor and warmth, and love working with children and their families, connecting easily with students, teachers, and parents
- Creative in instructional and classroom management strategies
- Openness to feedback and continuous growth in a positive way
- Entrepreneurial mindset and service orientation
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Coaching and tutoring experience
- Youth leadership experience
- A portfolio of project-based learning and applied learning lessons across multiple domains in the humanities and sciences
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
WHAT WE OFFER
Khan Lab School is a team of educators that have a deep commitment to their work. We get things done and believe that in our highly collaborative environment that anything is possible. All of our decisions are made through the lens of what is best for our students. We tackle tough questions without ego, are results oriented, and have high expectations for school and our students.
Khan Lab School offers a stimulating and unique working environment with a competitive salary. We seek team members who possess a unique skill set since this is a multi-faceted teaching position. To learn more, please visit our website: khanlabschool.org.
This position is to cover a leave of absence and expected to run between February 2021- June 2021
Location: Mountain View, CA
Number of Positions to be Filled: 1
To qualify, please provide a resume and a letter of interest. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated familiarity with the Sal Khan’s school model outlined in his book The One World Schoolhouse.
Khan Lab School is an EOE and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practice.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com