Website Lick Wilmerding High School
Lick-Wilmerding High School is a private school with public purpose, serving 550 students in grades 9-12 in San Francisco. Since its founding in 1895 as a vocational school, Lick-Wilmerding has built upon a long tradition of valuing and integrating the liberal arts, sciences, technical arts, visual arts and performing arts to offer a robust college-prep curriculum. Today, the LWHS curriculum is both a catalyst and a vehicle for civic engagement, and the Public Purpose Program offers students the opportunity to contribute their time, talent, and treasure through partnerships with community organizations. Students demonstrate an unparalleled commitment to their communities, the motivation to deeply explore their interests, and a desire to positively impact the lives of others. Despite many changes over the past four years — a global pandemic, leadership transitions, and a campus-wide remodel — LWHS has retained its vibrancy and commitment to being a private school with public purpose.
With a new head of school having just started in July of this year, the director of strategic communications will be instrumental in ensuring that there is a cohesive vision and narrative to the school’s messaging, while sharing the successes of the school’s programs on a national and global level. Taking a holistic approach to managing internal and external communications will ensure that all community stakeholders remain engaged with and connected to the school. This position will report directly to the head of school and will supervise the associate director of communications. The LWHS community looks forward to welcoming the director of strategic communications in October 2023.
12M Recruiting is running the search on behalf of Lick-Wilmerding High School. Applications are due August 20. For application instructions and the full job opportunity statement, please visit:
Applications Accepted Starting: July 17, 2023
Application Deadline: August 20, 2023
Semifinal Round: Week of September 11
On-Site Final Round: Week of September 18
Decision Announced: September 29, 2023
Start Date: October 2023
Reports To: Head of School
Salary Range: $130,000 to $150,000
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan to advance the brand, mission, program, and goals of the school through both internal and external communications.
- Collaborate with the head of school, department leads, and other key stakeholders to oversee consistent, accurate, on-brand, and on-message internal communications about school policies, news, and other critical content.
- Create written communications on behalf of the school and school leaders that establish a consistent voice and narrative, and address the needs of the audience.
- Partner with school leaders to develop and implement a crisis communications plan, and communicate ongoing risk management strategies to the school community.
Marketing & Content Production
- Ensure and apply consistent, high-quality brand and messaging to all departmental communications, activities, and events at the school, and among professional and volunteer leadership.
- Define and lead all outreach initiatives, publications, social media marketing, and other external messages in alignment with the school’s communication guidelines and brand identity.
- Collaborate with the associate director of communications to design and produce all creative materials in print and digital format.
- Lead the strategy and development of all school websites, and implement effective information management processes.
- Report directly to the head of school, and serve as a member of the LWHS leadership team.
- Supervise the associate director of communications, and provide outstanding mentorship, feedback, support, and professional growth to direct report(s).
- Effectively communicate schoolwide change initiatives and priorities to all stakeholders to ensure clarity and community buy-in.
- Perform other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
LICK-WILMERDING IS LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO CAN DEMONSTRATE
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Deep personal and professional commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice
- Collaborative and relational leader who is comfortable interfacing with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent copy-editing skills
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills with the ability to multitask and prioritize workflow
- Highly motivated, productive, and deadline-oriented
- Ability to exercise good judgment, tact, diplomacy, and manage confidential information
- A willingness to actively participate in the life of the school, and to serve as an ambassador of Lick-Wilmerding High School in the community
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or a related area required; Master’s degree preferred
- 10+ years of related experience, preferably within a diverse, mission-driven organization
- Comprehensive knowledge of strategic communications principles
- Experience serving as a member of a leadership team, supervising a team of creative professionals, and managing a departmental budget
- Proven track-record of leading an integrated marketing and communications program from concept to completion
- Demonstrated experience with web development and other mass communications and content management systems
This position requires working at a keyboard and remaining stationary for long periods of time in a professional office environment. This position also requires moving between and within all areas of the campus, which include stairs and narrow access paths.
For more information please visit the following link, which contains the job opportunity statement and complete application instructions.
LWHS is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. LWHS encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.