The San Francisco School
LEARNING SPECIALIST with a focus on LITERACY AND SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING, Kindergarten through 4th Grade, 80% FTE
Start date: August 9, 2019 (Faculty Prep)
Hours: Monday-Thursday: 8:30a.m. – 4:30p.m. (effective 8/21/19)
Overview of Position
The K-4th Learning Specialist (K-4LS) meets with teachers to discuss individual children; screens children for learning and developmental differences; recommends teaching strategies to meet individual needs; provides service directly to students in the classrooms and during the after school Learning Lab; and works with teachers and parents to recommend outside testing, tutoring or other indicated special services. The K-4LS educates faculty, parents and students about learning and teaching styles and strategies. This K-4LS focuses primarily on literacy instruction, social-emotional learning (including forming and facilitating social skills groups) and math.
The successful candidate will have:
- Training and experience as a Learning Specialist, with an Educational Therapist certificate, Special Education Credential and/or an MA in Special Education
- Three years minimum experience in elementary and teaching credential preferred
- Cultural competence in multicultural classrooms and sensitivity to the needs of children from diverse backgrounds
- Proven mastery of literacy instruction and social emotional learning facilitation
- An ability to work comfortably with teachers and parents
- Familiarity with educational resources in San Francisco
Overview of School
The San Francisco School is an independent school, pre-K through eighth grade, with a commitment to a multicultural and inclusive community. Suitably characterized by one parent as an “urban school with a village atmosphere,” The School embraces San Francisco’s ethnic, cultural, and economic diversity. Our progressive approach to education encourages children to develop self-reliance, solid academic skills, creativity, and a sense of social justice. They graduate academically prepared, inquisitive, courageous, and eager for the challenges ahead.
If you are ready to join us, send a single document by 4/20/19 with your resume, 3 references and letter of interest (including how you learned of this job) directly to email@example.com
The San Francisco School is committed to increasing staff diversity,
both to reflect the high value SFS places on a multicultural understanding,
and for the direct benefit of each student.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org