Menlo School is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory school for students in grades six through twelve. Established in 1915, the School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and is a member of the National and California Associations of Independent Schools.
Menlo is dedicated to providing a challenging academic curriculum complemented by outstanding creative arts and athletic programs. The School helps students develop positive values and nurtures character development in a supportive environment that upholds the highest moral and ethical standards. Our program encourages students to reach their fullest potential and to develop the skills necessary to respond intelligently and humanely to the complexities of a diverse and increasingly interconnected world.
We are committed to being a heterogeneous and inclusive community. We believe students are better educated and prepared to succeed when the School community—students, families, faculty, administration, and staff—is diverse and inclusive. Diversity benefits the entire community by providing a wide range of perspectives and experiences. We embrace a broad definition of diversity: an inclusive community comprised of people with different racial, cultural, economic and religious backgrounds, as well as different gender identities and sexual orientations. In addition, we support students with a wide variety of interests, talents, physical abilities, personalities, and politics.
We are looking for an educator with a strong background in math and science to staff our Learning Lab. Located just off our Student Center, the Learning Lab is open to all Upper School students and is a place they come for tutorial support, study skills help, and collaborative work. In addition to the Coordinator, it is staffed by various teachers on a rotating basis. In addition to providing direct tutorial assistance to students, the Coordinator will collaborate with faculty about student progress and oversee our math-science peer tutoring program through which upperclassmen provide academic support to younger students.
This is a full-time position. The ideal candidate would have 3 to 5 years of experience teaching or tutoring high school students, experience working one on one with students and a strong background in the range of courses younger students take (Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) and experience in working with a diverse population of learners.
Working Environment and Physical Demands:
- The job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment, but there may be possible exposure to childhood diseases and illnesses
- Exposure to heated/air conditioned and ventilated facilities with average interior dust with occasional exposure to outdoor elements
- Exposure to materials typically found in a school classroom, potential exposure to art materials and substances
- Exposure to a normal school environment that is usually quiet but sometimes noisy
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a school
employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions. Reasonable
accommodation may be requested to enable individuals to perform the essential responsibilities
of the job:
- Ability to sit, stand, move, communicate, manipulate art tools, speak, hear and read during the course of normal activities
- Able to use computers and other tools
- Able to move items weighing up to 10 pounds
- Ability to think and concentrate for sustained periods of time
- In-person attendance necessary to provide an effective level of performance during regular school hours
Compensation and Benefits:
Menlo School is committed to attracting and retaining excellent faculty and offers a generous compensation plan, including competitive salary, TIAA-CREF retirement benefits with a generous employer contribution and match, on-site child-care center, full medical/dental coverage, and much more.
To apply please visit https://www.menloschool.org/employment.php
Menlo School is an equal opportunity employer
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org