Website Keys School
Keys School, co-ed K-8, independent school located in Palo Alto, CA
Overview of School:
Keys School, recognized for social-emotional learning and a commitment to deeply knowing every community member, is seeking a full-time exempt Lower School Math Specialist beginning August 2021.
Keys School is an independent, co-ed K-8 school located on two campuses in Palo Alto, California. Our mission “challenges students to develop a keen intellect and a generous spirit, to advocate for themselves and others, and to honor curiosity in an increasingly hurried world.” Founded more than forty years ago, Keys offers a hands-on education with a balanced concern for students’ academic, social, emotional, and physical growth. Today Keys is known for helping students to become compassionate and empathetic community members while developing the confidence to find their voice and advocate for themselves.
Please visit our website, www.keysschool.org, for more information about the school.
Overview of the Position:
This position is for a Lower School Math Specialist. The successful candidate will report to the Head of Lower School and will be responsible for supporting the implementation of a constructivist, developmentally-appropriate math program based on the Singapore Math approach and the development of both differentiated math instruction and accompanying formative and summative math assessment in grades K-4.
- Collaborate with Assistant Head of Lower School – Curriculum Coordinator to ensure the development of and coordination of the Lower School math curriculum
- Work with Lower School classroom teachers and specialists so that all faculty are prepared to seek opportunities for natural connections across subjects with mathematical thinking
- Work with Lower School classroom teachers to support students with a variety of learning styles as well as to create and utilize formative and summative assessments to inform instructional decisions
- Model strategies for differentiating instruction in Singapore Math to enrich, remediate, and accommodate learning needs
- Frame contextually-relevant, developmentally-appropriate classroom experiences around essential understandings, interdisciplinary integration, and antiracist pedagogy
- Utilize a variety of co-teaching models to enhance mathematical instruction for all students
- Partner with the Middle School Math team to ensure programmatic continuity of instruction and content K-8
- Promote and lead various Singapore Math workshops for faculty, parents, and prospective families
- Facilitate and oversee division-wide math assessment practices, including administration, scoring, evaluating, and communicating progress to teachers and parents
- Integrate community resources into learning experiences
- Actively engage in the school community by participating in faculty meetings, recess and lunch duties, and additional school events
- Communicate about the math program and learning with families through face-to-face conversations, newsletters, emails, and/or blog posts
- Actively participate in professional development with a growth mindset and a healthy sense of humor
- Maintain professional collegial relationships that encourage sharing, planning, and working together toward improved instructional skills and student success
- Model positive behaviors for students and colleagues that align with the school’s core values, emphasizing critical social and emotional skills
- Monitor own beliefs and behavior to make certain that high expectations are held for all students regardless of socioeconomic status, race, gender, or other personal characteristics
The candidate must have:
- Passion for working with elementary-aged children, with a solid commitment to the teaching profession and social and emotional learning
- Solid understanding of children’s social-emotional and academic developmental trajectories
- The ability to foster strong student connections
- A commitment to cultural competency, antiracist pedagogy, and a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community
- Knowledge of curriculum standards and instructional strategies for elementary grade levels
- Facility with a wide array of pedagogy and assessment practices
- Flexibility in implementing educational programs in a variety of contexts (on-campus, hybrid, fully remote)
- Strong organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- A commitment to continuous improvement and professional development
- Drive to be an active researcher of best pedagogical practices, innovative teaching methods, and assessment
- A growth mindset and value feedback as a tool for growth
- The ability and willingness to work in teams and collaborate extensively with colleagues
- The initiative, internal motivation, and a willingness to take on responsibilities beyond those explicitly defined
- Experience with differentiated instructional practices and/or a background in special education
- An educational ideology consistent with that of the school
- A sense of humor
- Familiarity with the Singapore Math, TERC Investigations (and/or other constructivist approaches), and Responsive Classroom approaches preferred
- Familiarity with remote learning technologies and practices strongly preferred
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required and a teaching credential and/or Masters Degree is preferred
- A minimum of five years of related professional experience, preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, the ability to adjust focus, and sound hearing. The ability to speak clearly and coherently is also required. On occasion, the employee is required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, run, and/or jump.
How to Apply:
Email a résumé (including written recommendations and/or contact information for three references) and a one-page cover letter to:
Betsy Doss, Head of Lower School
Attn: Lower School Math Specialist
Keys School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age (40 and older), race, color, ancestry, religion, gender identity & gender expression, national origin, disability: physical or mental, sexual orientation, citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), medical condition, AIDS/HIV, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, political affiliations or activities, and status as a victim of domestic violence, assault, or stalking. For more information on the school, please visit keysschool.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com