Burke’s is an independent K-8 gender-inclusive all-girls’ school located on a 3.5-acre campus in San Francisco. Burke’s is one of California’s leading elementary schools with a 112-year tradition of educational excellence. The school combines strong academic and co-curricular programs with an emphasis on project-based learning and personal growth in a diverse and inclusive community. We emphasize the development of fundamental and higher-level critical thinking skills in an atmosphere of creativity, exploration, academic rigor, and joyful learning.
We are looking for a dedicated teacher who creates a classroom culture that supports deep thinking and learning; academically, socially, and emotionally. An ideal candidate would be: interested in learning and growing as a professional, willing and able to collaborate with colleagues, and experienced in best practices, including dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Burke’s has a Teaching Institute and each K-4 teacher is responsible for mentoring an Associate Teacher.
– Coordinating, developing, and delivering the third-grade program in collaboration with other grade level teachers, the Lower School Math Specialist, and the 3rd/4th Grade Learning Specialist.
– Incorporating effective strategies for differentiation and assessment.
– Fostering an inclusive classroom environment through regular class meetings, supportive exchanges with students, and clear expectations for community behavior using techniques from Responsive Classroom.
– Partnering and communicating effectively with parents in person, through email, in two report cards, and through newsletters/blogs.
– Developing and refining antiracist and social justice curriculum.
– Working in partnership with a dedicated Associate Teacher to plan and teach.
– Observing and evaluating the Associate Teacher, providing weekly feedback and ongoing mentorship.
– Participating in field trips and special projects to support the program, including an overnight trip to the Marin Headlands in the spring.
– Being a positive and contributing member of the professional community at Burke’s.
– B.A degree and teaching credential or advanced degree.
– Preferred experience leading an elementary classroom, grades 2, 3 or 4.
Desired Experience with:
– Responsive Classroom philosophy and techniques
– The TERC Investigations math curriculum
– Teachers College Writer’s and Reader’s Workshop and assessment practices
– Understanding by Design
– Designing instruction that is student-centered, differentiated, and engaging
– Designing and using assessments that drive and support learning
– Using technology to support teaching and learning
Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with faculty meetings on Wednesdays until 5:00.
Burke’s offers competitive compensation based on prior experience and position requirements. Comprehensive benefits are provided. Burke’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to diversity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Interested Candidates may apply by sending a cover letter, resumé, and references to burkes.workable.com.
No calls or additional emails, please.
To apply for this job please visit burkes.workable.com.