The Academy School
The Academy School, an independent school with an advanced academic curriculum, seeks an experienced Maker Space & Engineering Teacher K-8 for a full-time position beginning August 2021. The ideal candidate will have a proven record of working successfully with K-8 students. The Academy’s Maker Space will be a new offering in the Fall of 2021. A willingness to challenge students and a desire to work in collaboration with constructivist-approach is a must. Students will have an opportunity to build things through design challenges, learn coding language through our coding unplugged curriculum, and explore with project-based learning. Experience with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Makey Makey, 3D Printers, and such is a plus, but an eager willingness to learn goes a long way.
The Academy is a unique independent school in Berkeley, California with an advanced academic curriculum and a longstanding commitment to diversity and inclusiveness. For over fifty years, The Academy’s mission has been to develop thoughtful, ambitious, and deep learners in a warm and supportive community.
The Academy at a Glance
- Grades served: K-8
- Educational philosophy: Rigorous academics supported by small class sizes and expert teachers who utilize the Socratic method in their classrooms
- Target number of students per class in Lower School: 12
- Target number of students per class in Upper School: 15
- Total enrollment: 113
- Percentage of students of color: 60% (2020-21 school year)
- Percentage of faculty holding advanced degrees in their field: 72%
Learn more about our unique school at www.theacademyschool.org.
Who You Are
You are someone who
- Is passionate about teaching students of diverse backgrounds
- Is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Understands and values the Socratic method of instruction
- Understands the importance of education in building a more equitable world
- Understands the relationship between academic achievement and social-emotional capacity.
- Excels in communicating and working collaboratively with peers, parents, and administration
- Loves working with small classes
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Retirement benefits
- School tuition benefit
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish a culture of high expectations that includes the shared belief that every student can achieve wonderful things in a supportive and academically rigorous environment.
- Develop and implement lesson plans and classroom activities.
- Assess students regularly and analyze student results; refine and differentiate classroom instruction based on assessment data and student needs.
- Collaborate with colleagues to improve instructional practices throughout the school and share best practices.
- Communicate regularly with students and their families about classroom activities and student progress.
- Involve parents and guardians as partners in their student’s education.
- Manage student behavior to ensure every student is fully engaged.
- Actively participate in professional development activities and work closely with specialist teachers.
- Maintain accurate student records including attendance.
- Identify unique student needs and collaborate with team members to effectively address those needs.
- Support the mission, vision, and core values of The Academy.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree and/or credential preferred)
- 3+ years working with students as a teacher, teacher intern, or teaching assistant
- Understanding of child cognitive development and various learning styles
- Ability and willingness to reflect and improve instructional practices
- TB Test clearance; Criminal Justice Fingerprint clearance.
How to Apply
If you’re excited about joining our unique learning community, we’d love to hear from you. You can send a resume and cover letter to John Lynch, Head of School, at this email address: email@example.com.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org