The Nueva School
Design Thinking and our I-Lab Team
Nueva has been a pioneer in the field of pre-collegiate Design Thinking. Founded in 2007 in collaboration with the d.school at Stanford University, and with a staff of ten across two campuses, the Innovation Lab (I-Lab) team coaches students through Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools to become adept Design Thinkers who are empathetic, need-identifiers, confident brainstormers, and skilled prototypers.
Design Thinking is one of the pillars of a Nueva education. We have two exceptionally well-equipped Innovation Labs (one for grades preK–8 and the other for 9–12), and all students take courses taught by the I-Lab staff in grades 4–9. Our students apply Design Thinking across their entire curriculum, and specifically in the I-Lab during engineering, social good, and computer science projects taught by the I- Lab staff.
In addition, the I-Lab team offers many opportunities for interested students to delve into these areas further. We have created successful electives, clubs, and afterschool programs, and students have lunchtime access to the I-Lab team and the Innovation Labs. We offer all three levels of the FIRST Robotics competitions as well as the Toyota h2AC competition. Nueva’s Invention Studio is a thriving program focused on social good. Electives include Virtual Reality, Machine Learning, and Mobile App Development, and afterschool clubs include Changemakers and Programming. Our program is designed to give every student a strong foundation in Design Thinking and provide extensive challenges for students who are eager to push their limits and learn more!
Ten-month position—reports directly to the head of school and is part of the expanded leadership team
- Passion for creating and enhancing programs that appeal to a range of ages and interests
- Promote Design Thinking across Nueva and share best practices with other schools
- Co-lead the Nueva Design Thinking Institute for teachers/administrators in the last half of June
- Oversee I-Lab program across three divisions and integrate Design Thinking into all disciplines
- Inspire the I-Lab team to new heights and advocate for new initiatives, while supporting the teachers’ autonomy and motivation
- Ensure that the teaching of the I-Lab team is always at the highest caliber and offer informal coaching to continually help the team grow
- Recruit talented engineers and computer science teachers; provide training and support
- Teach elective courses in the Middle or Upper School
- Keep abreast of new developments and spearhead new programs that will best prepare our students for their futures
- Speak to visitors from around the world about what we do and why we do it
- Logistics: schedule, safety, budget
- Expertise in and passion for Design Thinking and engineering
- Innovative, with the ability and desire to continue to enhance world-class Design Thinking, Engineering, Computer Science, and Engineering for Social Good programs at Nueva
- Excellent curriculum development skills and experience in designing innovative programs
- Ability to attract, inspire, and lead a cohesive I-Lab team; strong at recruiting and hiring
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or computer science; master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize well
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Very hardworking; work as passion
- Collaborative, team player
This is a 10-month, full-time, salaried, benefited position available for hire effective immediately.
To apply, pease visit http://nuevaschool.applytojob.com/apply/s5YRPFbiSr/Interim-ILab-Director?source=CAPOCIS and submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for at least three professional references. Additionally, send your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references via email to Head of School Diane Rosenberg at email@example.com.
About The Nueva School
The Nueva School, an internationally recognized, nonprofit, independent day school, has served gifted learners since 1967. Today, Nueva serves more than 800 students PK–12 and expects to grow to over 950 students in the next few years. Nueva is located in the neighboring towns of Hillsborough and San Mateo, equidistant between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, serving six different counties throughout the Bay Area of Northern California.
A constructivist school, Nueva is known for its distinctive inquiry-based interdisciplinary studies, project-based learning, and pioneering work in social-emotional learning and design thinking. The Nueva community instills a passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the imaginative mind. Our school has received the US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award and the American Institute of Architects Award for School Design and Sustainability, has been recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program and appointed an Ashoka Changemaker School, co-founded the Common Ground Speaker Series, hosts the biennial Innovative Learning Conference, and was highlighted by the Pulitzer Prize–winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his book That Used to Be Us in the chapter “Average Is Over.”
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org