Prospect Sierra School
Prospect Sierra School
Interim 5th Grade Lead Science, Co-advisor, and Math Associate Teacher
January 5th – June 11th, 2021
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed TK–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California, serving 465 students. Prospect Sierra gives students the tools to build a better world by integrating rigorous academics with a deep understanding of human emotions. Every day our exceptional teachers connect students’ academic experiences to ethics, empathy, and social and emotional intelligence. The result is deeper intellectual engagement, greater self-knowledge, and compassionate relationships. Prospect Sierra students develop courage to become not only great students, but great people.
Overview of Position
This position is for an Interim Fifth Grade Lead Science, Co-Advisor, and Math Associate Teacher for both in-person teaching and distance teaching, depending on the modality the division is operating in. The successful candidate will report to the Middle School Division Head and work closely on the 5th grade team. The candidate will also collaborate with the Math and Science Department.
- Teach and oversee the fifth grade science courses, both in-person and online
- Work with 5th Grade math teacher to implement curriculum and support student learning in-person and online
- Collaborate with other fifth grade team members, as well as math, science, library, and technology departments
- Implement existing curriculum and continue to adjust and adapt curriculum to new teaching and learning modalities due to COVID-19. This includes in-person teaching, hybrid teaching (some students zooming in and some students in the classroom), and complete distance teaching (everyone is on Zoom)
- Support and attend spring Parent-Teacher conferences
- Write Spring narrative report cards for all fifth grade students
- Provide individualized support to students during study hall periods
- Serve as co-advisor with another lead teacher for a group of 12 students, and oversee their social-emotional and academic well-being. Collaborate with a co-advisor to support these students.
The candidate must have the following:
- Experience teaching upper elementary and/or middle school students
- Experience with virtual teaching and using digital platforms for instruction
- Commitment to early adolescent education and social/emotional development
- Commitment to creating an inclusive classroom community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
- Commitment to working in teams
- Commitment to effectively communicating and partnering with current and prospective parents
- A passion for science pedagogy, especially engineering and hands-on projects
The ideal candidate would also have the following:
- Desire to connect with students through extracurricular activities such as coaching, clubs, cohort groups, tutoring, etc.
- Strong organizational and record-keeping skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Narrative report writing skills
- Sense of humor
School-wide duties include:
- Participation in cross-grade committees and departments
- Ancillary duties, including staff meetings, attendance at school functions, recess duties, etc.
Prospect Sierra is an equal opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability, and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.
The salary is competitive. Benefits included.
How to Apply
Email a resume, a one-page cover letter, and a list of three references with contact information to: Nathan Tanaka, Middle School Division Head
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (include “Interim 5th Grade Science Teacher” in the subject line.)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com