Park Day School
Overview of School Park Day School
An independent school founded in 1976, Park Day School offers an outstanding progressive K8 program with 300 students. The school community embraces and serves the ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic diversity of Oakland. The program is rooted in the tenets of progressive education and reinforces 21st century pedagogy. Our student-centered approach cultivates deep thinkers and compassionate and courageous people who work to shape a more equitable and sustainable world. Park Day is a leader in public purpose initiatives and social justice efforts, and our historical four-acre campus is located in the vibrant Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, CA.
Overview of the Position
The Middle School Humanities teacher is responsible for the social studies and language arts aspects of a progressive, integrated learning experience (alongside Art, Drama, Math, Music, Science, Spanish, and Physical Education), including curriculum development, student advising, student assessment and parent communication. This position requires the ability to work collaboratively with the entire MS staff, teaming to support the students socially, emotionally and academically. The Middle School teachers work closely to ensure as much program cohesiveness and continuity as possible. Candidates should be prepared to deliver a rigorous and progressive World Civilizations and World Literature program. We also seek a vibrant teacher who brings creativity, innovation, and a social justice lens to their teaching practice.
- Be fluent in progressive educational theory and practices, be culturally competent, and have at least three years of exemplary classroom teaching experience.
- Have a working understanding of developmental/constructivist teaching practices and social emotional learning.
- Be able to successfully instruct and differentiate for students at different ability levels and with multiple intelligences.
- Have a nurturing and supportive tone with students, and experience with collaborative teaching.
- Infuse lessons with energy and joy, inspire a passion for learning, and anchor curriculum in meaningful contexts for deep understanding.
- Establish and maintain a healthy and mutually respectful learning environment. Have a proven track record of successfully working as a member of a teaching team and communicating effectively and collaboratively with staff and parents. Have experience leading a middle school advisory group.
- Be prepared to spend additional time getting to know and help students outside of the classroom.
- A valid teaching credential is strongly desired.
- Teach two sections of Middle School Humanities, a combined language arts and history curriculum.
- Continuously develop and examine the Humanities curriculum in conjunction with the Middle School Humanities Team.
- Commit to other departmental, committee, and general school responsibilities such as, teaching electives, writing narrative progress reports twice a year, supervising lunch and breaks on a regular basis, meeting with the Middle School Humanities team.
- Lead an advisory group (experience with Developmental Designs a plus).
Teachers thrive at Park Day School when they partake in the opportunities offered by a rich co-curricular program and a tightly knit, diverse community.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Write your full name and “Middle School Humanities” in the subject line. Please do not send a fax or a paper copy. For more information about our school, visit our website at www.parkdayschool.org.
Park Day School is an equal opportunity employer. We seek applicants who reflect the diversity of the Bay Area. We do not discriminate on the basis of basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, family-care status, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org