Town School for Boys
Town School for Boys
Full-Time Assistant Registrar and Administrative Assistant to Division Heads
Since 1939, San Francisco’s Town School for Boys has had a rich history as a school specializing in teaching boys. The school is also known for the Town School New Teacher Institute and its commitment to training teachers new to their craft. The school’s goals include teaching boys to be good citizens, to enjoy their childhood, to develop a positive sense of self, to give back to their greater community, and to develop academic and intellectual skills which will serve them well through their lifetimes. The school prizes its growing diversity of background, religion, and race, as well as the diversity of interests which is so noteworthy in its student and alumni bodies. Located in San Francisco, Town School for Boys is a K-8 independent day school. Since its founding in 1939, Town School has been committed to providing the best possible education for boys and is recognized as one of California’s leading independent elementary schools.
Town School for Boys seeks a permanent, full-time Assistant Registrar and Administrative Assistant to the Lower and Upper School Division Heads. This position is a 12 month role. We seek a self-starter who is flexible and able to adapt to a dynamic school environment. The ideal candidate will maintain a positive outlook and be a highly organized, excellent problem solver who is comfortable in Google Apps and database software. A high level of discretion with confidential information is essential. The successful applicant must be able to prioritize effectively and work well both independently and as a member of a larger team supporting school-wide initiatives. An affection for children is a plus!
- Processing Heads’ budgets and related paperwork
- Supporting all faculty and staff on utilizing the Portal (web-based database)
- Supporting scheduling courses, assigning teachers and grade plans, and enrolling students in Blackbaud
- Managing the Division Heads’ Google calendars
- Arranging refreshments for meetings
- Generating special schedules for educational and Holiday events
- Orchestrating major projects such as Parent-Teacher conferences, Parents’ Nights, and Standardized Testing mailings
- Creating, collecting, and analyzing surveys using Survey Monkey
- Managing/coordinating job postings, applications, and interviews
- Enthusiastic team-oriented with a collaborative working style
- Highly organized with the ability to create a timeline for successful completion of projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and remain calm and kind under pressure
- Willingness to problem solve and seek assistance when appropriate
- Attentive to detail, punctual, and able to effectively satisfy competing priorities
- Computer savvy with MS Word, Excel, Google apps and databases
- Aptitude and willingness to learn in-house database – Blackbaud K-12
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years’ administrative experience
- Prior work experience in a school or youth-oriented setting
Town School for Boys Mission
At Town School learning is prized, love of school is essential, and boyhood is celebrated.
As an all boys’ school, Town provides a rich, challenging and rigorous educational experience that addresses the distinctive energy levels and developmental styles of boys. Town values being a diverse community that nurtures integrity, sensitivity and respect in its boys, and prepares them to become productive and contributing members of an ever-changing world.
- We value learning and academic excellence. We support and encourage each boy to do his best while helping him discover his strengths and talents.
- We value programs that balance academic effort, social interaction, physical activity and artistic expression while embracing character education.
- We value respect for ourselves and others. We model integrity, honesty and kindness in our daily lives and we take responsibility for our own actions.
- We value diversity, which brings the variety of perspectives that are integral to an excellent education and a dynamic community. We believe it is essential that every member of the community is equally valued and included in the life of the school.
- We value commitment to community service. We seek opportunities to improve our greater community through volunteer activities sponsored by the school as part of our role as good citizens.
Statement of Teaching Philosophy
Our goal is for each boy to be engaged in an environment that weaves together collaboration, critical thinking, integrity, empathy, and creativity. These broad skills, as well as a firm grounding in core academic competencies, offer boys an excellent preparation for their further education. We promote social and emotional learning as a foundation of academic excellence and self-discovery. We prepare students to meet challenges in the world by helping them develop an appreciation for a variety of perspectives from the local to the global. We celebrate diversity by fostering a community of learners built on mutual respect. Learning experiences are inclusive, relevant, flexible, innovative, and adapted to reflect the needs of all kinds of learners. In our joyful, active, and collaborative school, boys flourish.
We achieve these goals through an authentic curriculum that originates in the classroom, travels through the halls, and extends into the world. Our teaching balances traditional methods with key student-centered approaches including inquiry, project-based learning, and teaching for understanding. We stay relevant and current through our testing of innovative, research-based approaches. We model a commitment to lifelong learning, and we hone our craft by pursuing professional development and sharing knowledge with one another.
Statement on Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity:
Diversity, inclusion, and equity are essential core values of Town School. The best education for our students requires a diverse experience because a broad spectrum of ideas is essential for understanding different perspectives, challenging assumptions, and inspiring curiosity, to support critical and complex thinking.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment where each boy is free to be himself, and where boys are confident and secure in their own identities. We equip each boy with the tools to explore differences in experiences, background, beliefs and ideas. We seek to provide each student with the support and resources he needs to succeed and thrive at Town School.
A diverse and vibrant community is essential. To build and sustain such a community, we reach out to enroll students and families from a broad range of socioeconomic backgrounds, cultures, races, religions, and sexual orientations, and we recruit and retain faculty, staff and administrators from the same broad range of backgrounds. We cultivate an environment where every member of the Town community senses they matter as a significant part of the life of the school. Only when each person feels valued and is engaged may the school and the individual achieve their full potential.
Non-Discrimination Policy: Town School for Boys admits students of any race, color, religion, or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the School. The School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship programs, athletic and other school-administered programs.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with our peer schools in the San Francisco Bay Area and with like NAIS schools.
To apply for this position, please send a personal cover letter – include what interests you about our job – along with your resume to: Cara Wood at email@example.com.
Town School for Boys
2750 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org