Children's Day School
Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth-grade school serving over 475 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty, and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community grounded in our newly adopted Mission, Beliefs and Values.
At Children’s Day School, what you learn and who you become are equally important.
CDS is a welcoming community in the big city, a farm and garden among urban streets, an advocate for responsibility to others as well as individual achievement, an independent school with down-to-earth values, always asking how can we do this better.
We strive for balance so students become both academically successful and grounded. They leave CDS confident, with the humility to listen and the resolve to speak up for what they see as right.
Learning is Active, Differences Lift Us, Community Matters
Be Just and Courageous, Share Kindness and Joy, Stay Grounded
We are seeking an experienced, talented, and energetic Fifth Grade Humanities Teacher. This person is responsible for teaching and overseeing two sections of 5th grade Humanities. The ideal candidate will bring middle school and subject matter expertise, rigor, excellent communication skills, and passion to our academically challenging and socially responsive program. The successful candidate will prepare and inspire all students to be lifelong readers and writers, while developing a critical eye for human history. Children’s Day School uses a variety of teaching resources including online resources, class novels, history textbooks, and primary sources.
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills and qualities:
- Work with students
- An unwavering commitment to middle school students and the community
- Enthusiasm for the opportunities and challenges inherent in working with middle school students
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with students, colleagues and parents
- Willingness to model professional and ethical standards when working with students and the 5/6 Team
- The desire and ability to contribute to student and community life inside and outside the classroom
- A commitment to professional development
- A commitment to social justice and multicultural education
- Curricular content and instruction
- Deep understanding of the writing process as well as form and structure in writing, especially essays, poetry, and short story
- Ability to lead literature circles and provide guidance in leveled-reading techniques
- Familiarity with world cultures and US history
- Ability and willingness to differentiate instruction
- Ability to integrate theory with practice in designing and implementing appropriate learning strategies for each student
- Other responsibilities may include:
- Serving as a homeroom teacher
- Being an advisor of 10-12 students (prior training in Developmental Designs or Responsive Classroom is desired but not necessary)
- Leading or co-leading an affinity group related to race/ethnicity, family structure, gender, religion, sexual orientation or other aspects of identity
- Performing lunch, recess, and dismissal duties as assigned
- Writing narrative reports for all students
- Maintaining positive working relationships with parents
- Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; academic program focus in literature, history, and/or education-related fields
- Experience working with middle school or upper elementary students
- Experience with Readers’ and Writers’ Workshop preferred
- Teaching credential and/or master’s degree preferred
- Your application should include:
- Cover letter
- Statement of philosophy and beliefs
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered including medical, dental and vision insurance and a 403 (b) retirement plan.
CDS is an equal opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability, and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org