Redwood Day School
Redwood Day is a vibrant, diverse K-8 school with over 400 students and 80+ faculty and staff all learning together on our four-acre campus in the heart of Oakland. Everything we do is designed to keep every child engaged and growing. Academically, that means a world-class curriculum, the best teachers, and a focus on the individual student. Socially and emotionally, we teach students to work through challenges, respect each other’s differences, and honor their diverse community. We find great strength in multiple perspectives and embrace every opportunity to weave diversity in thought and action into our social, emotional, and academic lives.
Job Description and Desired Qualifications
The Facilities Manager position is responsible for the maintenance and improvement of the School’s buildings and grounds. This includes planning and scheduling of preventive maintenance work, daily building maintenance, and logistics for School events. For larger projects, this person will engage the services of third-party contractors through a competitive bidding process and will sign off on the quality of the work and maintain invoices and records of such work. The Facilities Manager will maintain records of inspections for elevator, fire, and security systems, and ensure that all systems are in compliance with current codes. With the assistance of the CFO/COO, this person will prepare an annual budget for repairs and maintenance and will track associated costs throughout the year. Position manages two maintenance staff and third-party custodial staff.
This is a full-time position.
- Technical work experience with experience in an educational setting preferred. Related experience could include construction, plant engineer, or facility management.
- Strong administrative skills, including ability to leverage technology.
- Ability to supervise and support, as well as interface with a variety of constituents with a positive attitude.
- Knowledge of best methods, practices, equipment, and supplies used in facility maintenance, as well as the ability to interpret and understand building and safety regulations.
- High School diploma or GED required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree or trade certification preferred.
Desired Qualifications and Traits:
- General contractor experience helpful, a working knowledge of all building and safety codes from government agencies having jurisdiction, hands-on experience in multiple maintenance disciplines, including boiler systems, electrical, plumbing, and general carpentry.
- Knowledge of budget preparation and control and the ability to work within budget constraints.
- Personnel management skills and contractor management experience, with aptitude to judge the quality of performance in all major technical trades and personal experience in at least one technical trade (carpentry, mechanical, electrical, structural).
Redwood Day offers highly competitive compensation and benefits.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and state laws. Employment at Redwood Day is “at-will”. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers are contingent on passing a background check and TB assessment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and Redwood Day Application Form electronically by July 15, 2019, to FacilitiesManager2019@rdschool.org, Attn: Deann Hays, CFOO
Redwood Day is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, religion color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, transitioned, transitioning or perceived to be transitioning), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy and breastfeeding, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful consideration by federal, state or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. In addition, Redwood Day does not permit discrimination based on dressing consistently with one’s gender identity or gender expression, or preferred gender, name or pronoun usage.
To apply for this job email your details to FacilitiesManager2019@rdschool.org