Children's Day School
Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade school serving over 470 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty, and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
Reporting to the Head of School, this senior administrative position is responsible for providing outstanding after school, school break, and summer programs at CDS. The Extended Program Director is responsible for creating a strategic vision for all Extended Programs, including the after school program, enrichment classes, morning childcare, vacation camps, and summer camps, with the goal of driving participation growth and student engagement. As one of the few PK-8 independent schools with a summer camp, CDS has a significant opportunity for program growth. The Extended Program Director is an integral part of our school and a bridge to our community.
This role requires self-direction and accountability.
- Take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and collaborate effectively with diverse constituencies.
- Develop, market, staff, supervise, and evaluate all of CDS’ extended programs. Oversee and solve day-to-day problems of all extended programs.
- Hire, mentor, support, supervise and evaluate after school, school break, and summer staff.
- Establish mutually beneficial partnerships with providers who offer inspiring content for additional programming during after school, school break, and summer camps.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Head of School, the Middle School Director, and the Director of Early Childhood Programs to ensure a seamless bridge between school day and extended programs.
- Create the necessary conditions for supporting and encouraging the socio-emotional and physical safety and growth of each student while in extended programs.
- Establish strong relationships with parents and community members for all extended programs.
- Manage over $1 million in revenue and associated operating expense budget.
- Communicate promptly with families and coworkers regarding programmatic questions and logistics.
Experience and Qualifications
- Proven track record of creating engaging K-8 afterschool and summer programming.
- Knowledge of the program structure and supports necessary to implement in an effective extended program.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as a great sense of humor.
- Ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, parents, alumni, and students. Must be able to work with highly confidential information.
- Organizational skills and the ability to multi-task; outstanding time management; ability to work with multiple people on diverse issues simultaneously; ability to generate innovative solutions and strategies to complicated challenges.
- Proven leadership abilities.
- Ability to have difficult, structured, and compassionate meetings with colleagues, parents, teachers, and students.
- Flexibility with a cheerful disposition.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with MS Office Suite. Knowledge of UltraCamp and Kinderlime preferred.
- Able to work evenings.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree preferred).
- At least two years’ experience leading a school-aged program.
- At least two years’ experience hiring and supervising 5 or more staff members.
- Demonstrated experience working with and overseeing program budgets. Understanding of AP/AR.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in technology
- Experience with Responsive Classroom (and/or interest in being trained).
- Spanish speakers preferred.
CDS is an EEO employer.
CDS is a racially and ethnically diverse community, and we seek the same in our faculty and staff. This is a full-time position and salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply for this job please visit careers.cds-sf.org.