The Berkeley School
Elementary (K-5) Spanish Teacher, one-year appointment
Effective Immediately, Fall 2018
The Berkeley School, a progressive independent school in the East Bay portion of the San Francisco Bay Area, seeks an 80% FTE faculty member to join our multicultural, learner-centered community as an elementary (K-5) Spanish teacher. While this is a one-year position, the possibility of continuing beyond 2018-19 exists. Candidates must have a B.A. (graduate degree preferred).
We are committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse community, and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We value the skills, knowledge, and experiences a diverse workforce brings to our school, and in order to serve our students and families, we want to ensure that our faculty and staff reflect the diverse community of the East Bay.
This position has responsibility for the design, review, and implementation of the elementary Spanish curriculum, both through direct instruction and through collaboration with other K-5 faculty and the middle school Spanish teacher.
Ideal candidates will:
* have experience teaching elementary Spanish curriculum and strong understanding of learning outcomes;
* have strong writing and verbal skills in both Spanish and English;
* demonstrate positive classroom management skills with the full range of elementary ages;
* have some understanding of diverse assessment practices and how differentiated assessment informs instruction;
* demonstrate familiarity with unit design that promotes student investment in their own learning.
Preferred candidates will:
* communicate effectively with students, families, colleagues;
* demonstrate a history of creating a rich, developmentally appropriate instructional environment to meet the diverse intellectual, social, emotional and physical needs of elementary students;
* have a commitment to integrate Spanish learning with studies of the grade-level and other disciplines
* show comfort with technology use.
The successful candidate will be professional, collaborative, and enthusiastic about participating in our dynamic community of intellectually curious, lifelong learners, all of whom are devotees of professional development and reflective teaching practice.
Overview of the School
Founded in 1964 as Berkeley Montessori School, The Berkeley School is an intentionally small school of 270 students from early childhood through middle school. We focus on developing academic and life skills in joyful, rigorous learning environments deeply rooted in civic engagement. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website at www.theberkeleyschool.org to learn more about our program.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identification. Applicants need to be fully authorized to work in the United States.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, a letter of interest, and two professional references to Bliss Tobin, Elementary Division Head, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com