Park Day School
Overview of School
Park Day School offers an outstanding co-educational K-8 program to over 300 students. The school community embraces the ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic diversity of Oakland, is rooted in the tenets of progressive education, and reinforces collaborative, interdisciplinary learning in context. Our student-centered approach cultivates deep thinkers and compassionate and courageous citizens who shape a more equitable and sustainable world. Park Day’s community outreach program collaborates with public schools and community groups to create meaningful service-learning opportunities for our students. Our historical and park-like four-acre campus is located in the vibrant Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, CA.
Overview of the Position
The Assistant Teacher works under the supervision of the Lower School Director and the classroom teachers with whom they work. The hiring process includes a screening interview, group interview and time in the classroom in the assistant role.
The Lower School Assistant Teacher is responsible for:
- Assisting the teacher in all aspects of teaching and implementing classroom management strategies
- Practice leading whole group, small group and individual instruction.
- Designing, planning for and leading small group instruction in core subjects under the direction of the teacher.
- Supporting children with their social and emotional development; facilitating student conflict resolution.
- Providing general clerical support in the classroom.
- Ensuring student safety by supervising and engaging with students during recesses, lunch duties, morning drop off and afternoon check out.
The ideal candidate will:
- Hold a university degree and be enrolled in a university program leading to teaching credential.
- Have experience working with elementary aged children in an active, multicultural classroom setting.
- Have completed coursework in child development and education.
- Understand the core tenets of progressive educational theory and practice while building inclusive communities.
- Be skilled in following directions from classroom teachers and know when and how to take initiative to support the students.
- Possess a nurturing and supportive tone with students.
Salary and benefits will be based on qualifications and experience. Benefits offered include employer-paid medical with Kaiser, dental insurance, a generous retirement plan and more. We also have a calming, beautiful campus where you can enjoy a discounted lunch from our school caterers.
How to Apply:
Park Day School believes strongly in the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. We seek to identify and hire a greater number of faculty of color to serve as role models for all students. We strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all people regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender and gender expression, sexual orientation, family-care status, marital status, veteran status, disability or socio-economic background.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org