SF Friends School
Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Reports To: Chief Financial and Operations Officer
Status: Full Time, Exempt
About San Francisco Friends School:
The San Francisco Friends School, founded in 2002, is a Quaker K-8 school located in the Mission district of San Francisco. An ideal candidate for this position would be compelled by the Friends school mission, which includes an exemplary education supported by a community dedicated to peaceful problem-solving, collaborative decision-making, service to others, simplicity, respect for the individual and silent reflection. For more information about San Francisco Friends School or Quaker education, please visit our website at www.sffriendsschool.org or The Friends Council on Education at www.friendscouncil.org.
Under the direction of the Chief Financial and Operations Officer (CFOO), the Director of Human Resources is responsible for the administration and management of all areas of human resources operational activities for the School. The position will provide support across the full employee life cycle including supporting recruiting/hiring, managing on-board, pay and benefits, performance management through off-boarding. The position requires a highly organized and detail-oriented person, with excellent interpersonal skills and some who exhibits a high degree of confidentiality and discretion. The Director of Human Resources is a member of the Administrative team.
- Working closely with the Academic Administrators, support the hiring process by creating strong job descriptions, model employee agreements and hiring
documentation. Help identify sources/build an exceptional and diverse candidate pool ● Oversee new hire orientation processes including benefits and payroll on boarding ● Administer benefits, and updates and changes with support from Payroll Coordinator ● Identify and implement upgrades to HR processes and systems to create efficiencies and to better educate staff on available benefits/programs.
- Support employee relations by serving as a link between management and employees by handling questions about employment agreements, and helping resolve work related problems
- Administer leaves, requests for accommodations and workers compensation claims ● Develop and revise guidelines and policies related to human resource practices and compliance (e.g. employee handbook, and required trainings)
- Inform management regarding governmental regulations/laws and compliance issues ● Oversee Staff and Administration performance review process and update as needed ● Manage personnel records and record retention
- Manage the payroll function including timely collection of documents, record keeping and providing reports to the Controller/CFOO for tracking and budgetary control. Direct supervisor of Payroll Coordinator
- Works with CFOO to analyze and recommend compensation and benefits policies to establish competitive programs and ensure compliance with legal requirements ● Advise managers on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment and recommend needed changes that relate to regulations and legal updates around employment and hiring practices
- Manage off boarding process, including conducting exit interviews and other exit data for analysis
- Manage unemployment claims and process correspondence and documentation. ● Partner with Director of Facilities to assure workplace safety compliance according to local, state and federal legislation.
- Perform other tasks and analyses as assigned by the CFOO including headcount reports, compensation and benefit analyses, and completing benchmarking surveys
- Minimum of five years of experience in Human Resources
- Bachelor’s degree and/or PHR/SPHR or equivalent combination of education and experience. (Professional in Human Resources Certification; Senior Professional in Human Resources Certification)
- Knowledge of California HR context; knowledge of San Francisco context a plus ● High level of discretion, ability to manage confidential information
- Self-starter with independent problem-solving skills
- Sound business judgement
- Exceptional organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills both one-on-one and group settings ● School experience a plus
San Francisco Friends School offers competitive salary and benefits including fully paid medical, dental and vision insurance for employees, retirement matching plan and generous vacation/holiday calendar.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter HRrole@sffriendsschool.org.
Cover letters and resumes should be sent in PDF format. Please title your documents as seen below:
Last name, First name_ Cover letter
Last name, First name_ Resume
Due to the volume of applications we receive, documents not sent in the above format may not be considered.
The San Francisco Friends School welcomes all students and staff and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability in administration of its educational policies, enrollment or hiring policies, and other school-administered programs.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org