The Nueva School
Director of Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence – 2020-2021
We seek a dynamic and visionary leader with practical and/or academic experience in the development and/or use of artificial intelligence (AI). This position will report directly to the Head of School, serve on the expanded leadership team, and collaborate closely with the entire Nueva community including division heads, fellow program directors, faculty, students, and parents.
The Director of Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence at Nueva will lead the development of a significant new PreK-12 multi-disciplinary lens of inquiry to:
- Educate students and the wider Nueva community about AI and its impacts
- Ensure that the lens we take with AI at Nueva remains human-centered
- Engage students in dialogue about the ethical and social implications of AI
- Equip students with the imagination, empathy, and confidence to create impact in a world where AI is accelerating the pace of change.
This is a new position in our school which will consist of both teaching and program management. Roughly 50% of the role will be teaching elective courses related to human-centered AI in our middle and/or upper school. The other 50% of the role will be to collaborate with faculty across PreK-12 to integrate human-centered AI into existing offerings, as well as design new facets to this nascent program. While experience in the field of artificial intelligence is critical, the ideal candidate will also have experience and familiarity with some related disciplines such as computer science, data science, ethics, machine learning, statistics, and/or advanced mathematics. It is expected that the Director will leverage Nueva’s extended community in collaboration with both academic institutions and industry/business (e.g. Stanford’s Institute for Human Centered AI or local businesses working with artificial intelligence).
This position begins in August 2020, aligns with the Nueva academic calendar, and is a full-time, ten-month position with competitive salary and full benefits.
The General Responsibilities for this Director position include …
Teaching & Curriculum Coordination
- Develop and teach AI courses in our middle and/or upper schools and modules within other courses across PreK-12, with special focus on human-centered AI, ethics, and the societal impacts of AI
- Collaborate with faculty to engage in interdisciplinary thinking, identify new areas for integration, and develop curricula that integrate human-centered AI and ethics within other discipline areas
- Mentor and support student-led research and projects related to AI
- Map and evaluate Nueva’s existing AI and adjacent programming, including coursework, academies, intensives, trips, and community outreach
- Collaborate with the I-Lab (Innovation Lab) team on both campuses to evolve spaces in order to support the study of AI and AI adjacencies, research, student projects, and community collaboration
- Lead by example in your commitment to Nueva’s mission: “Our school community inspires passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the student’s imaginative mind”
Program Leadership & Management
- Create, articulate, and promote a vision for human-centered AI, including ethical and societal implications of AI technologies, that reflects Nueva’s mission, constructivist pedagogy, and culture
- Spearhead and support integration of human-centered AI programming across PreK–12, including community and parent education
- Provide support for faculty and staff with professional development opportunities, new teacher training, small working groups, or whole-school in-service days
- Integrate human-centered AI into the fabric of the school, including working with the tech department, to identify areas for improvement, growth, and synergy
- Create and oversee all internal and external communication about the human-centered AI program
- Engage a rich network of parent and faculty connections to explore opportunities for student impact beyond Nueva
- Serve as a liaison with external partners, including companies focused on creating, using or expanding use of AI, AI institutes at colleges and universities, nonprofits and internship providers to create, curate, and sustain mutually beneficial partnerships
- Actively participate in regional and national networks supporting a multi-disciplinary, human-centered approach to AI, AI education, and adjacent fields.
- Other duties as assigned
You would enjoy this role if you have:
- Strong interest in PK-12 education and in providing students with diverse perspectives on and multiple entry points into to AI, particularly with a focus on human-centered AI
- Desire to learn by doing and to learn with/from others, including students and adults
- Flexibility and creativity in working in a dynamic environment where new ideas, mistakes, and iteration are embraced.
- Profound openness to feedback and improvement, modeling lifelong learning of practice as well as subject area.
We are looking for someone with some subset of the following:
- Experience in the field of AI and/or adjacent fields through coursework, direct program delivery, and/or industry work
- Demonstrated interest and experience in the ethical and societal implications and impacts of AI technologies
- Experience working with young people in different age groups, whether in formal or informal education settings, and demonstrated understanding of child development
- Experience with curriculum design, development, and implementation
- Experience with program management, including strategic thinking and tactical execution
- Ability to explain complex topics succinctly, simply, in a compelling manner, and in varied ways to reach both less-experienced and more-experienced students
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with a variety of audiences, including students, parents, and colleagues, both in person and in writing
- Deep interest and willingness to learn and grow in any of the above areas, especially those that are not currently familiar to you
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in the field of artificial intelligence (potentially including academic coursework)
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree highly preferred, and PhD in artificial intelligence or an adjacent field is a plus
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and the contact information and job title for at least three professional references at https://nuevaschool.applytojob.com/apply. For questions, please contact Diane Rosenberg, Head of School, at email@example.com.
For more information about The Nueva School, please visit our website: www.nuevaschool.org
The Nueva School is an Equal Opportunity Employer – we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability or sex. We welcome applications from people of color and those with experience outside the education field.
About The Nueva School
The Nueva School, an internationally recognized, nonprofit, independent day school, has served gifted learners since 1967. Today, Nueva serves nearly 950 students PreK–12. Nueva is located in the neighboring towns of Hillsborough and San Mateo, equidistant between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, serving six counties throughout the Bay Area of Northern California.
A constructivist school, Nueva is known for its distinctive inquiry-based interdisciplinary studies, project-based learning, and pioneering work in social-emotional learning and design thinking. The Nueva community instills a passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the imaginative mind. Our school has received the US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award and the American Institute of Architects Award for School Design and Sustainability, has been recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program and appointed an Ashoka Changemaker School, co-founded the Common Ground Speaker Series, hosts the biennial Innovative Learning Conference, and was highlighted by the Pulitzer Prize–winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his book That Used to Be Us in the chapter “Average Is Over.”
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org