The College Preparatory School
The College Preparatory School, an independent high school in Oakland, California, seeks a full-time Director of Experiential and Community-Based Learning beginning in July of 2019. This position encompasses designing, directing and fostering learning opportunities that connect College Prep students with the larger community and with one another. Candidates should be eager to embrace spirited intellectual challenges in a rich academic environment that highly values equity and inclusivity.
Essential tasks and responsibilities:
- Coordinate the alignment and support the growth of all Compass programs (CAP — 9th grade advisory program, Wellness and Decision Making— 10th grade health program and Life Prep — life skills for 11th and 12th grades)
- Direct the Life Prep program, including soliciting and developing courses, coordinating the sign‑up process, managing logistics and evaluating the mini-courses.
- Direct the Intraterm program, an annual week of experiential classes and trips.
- Work with the Dean of Students to coordinate and administer class-level retreats, New Student Orientation programs and other student life programs.
- Work with student leadership to research, develop, and promote a wide variety of service activities that may include school‑wide, class‑based, or individual service projects; provide support for student volunteers and other adult leaders for these activities.
- Coordinate student internship opportunities, including supporting the Social Transformations – Oakland (STOak) class.
- Support faculty who seek to integrate service learning projects into their curriculum.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School including, if so desired, the development and teaching of a semester elective.
Qualifications and desired characteristics:
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in related fields
- A demonstrated commitment to service and experiential learning
- About five years teaching or administrative experience in a secondary school environment
- Passion for working with high school students
- Excellent collaborative, organizational, and written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership and facilitation skills
- Passion for lifelong learning, professional growth, leadership and community building
- Patience, flexibility and a good sense of humor
- A strong interest in working in a multicultural community
The Director of Experiential and Community‑Based Learning reports primarily to the Dean of Students. By working across the curricular, co‑curricular and extra‑curricular aspects of school life, they encourage our students to cultivate a deeper understanding of the connections between their personal development, academic experiences, and the world beyond campus.
Founded in 1960, The College Preparatory School is an independent coeducational secondary school created for intellectual risk-takers who want to pursue a purposeful education with kindred peers. Faculty and staff thrive at College Prep when they engage in the rich opportunities of its many co-curricular programs and the School’s growing ties to greater Oakland. Salary and benefits are competitive, and include a prepared lunch every day. As an equal opportunity employer, College Prep welcomes candidates representing diversity of all kinds. We celebrate the inclusivity of our community regarding race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
College Prep typically does not sponsor applicants for work visas. For more information about our school, visit our website at www.college-prep.org
To apply, please go to: https://collegeprep.applicantpro.com/jobs/989601-111801.html
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com