San Francisco Day School
Position: Director of Communications
Position Status/Time: Full-time
An exciting opportunity to become a member of a vibrant school community.
At San Francisco Day School, we believe that when intellect and imagination are intertwined, students delight in the discovery of connection: in their academic and creative pursuits, in their relationships, and in all that they experience here. Every day we help our students emerge as flexible and resourceful learners. Because when we do, our students light up with the call and capacity to take on the complexities of their day and of a diverse world.
Reporting to the Head of School, in collaboration with the Director of Advancement, the Director of Communications is responsible for advancing the brand and messaging of SF Day with all of our key constituency groups. This includes current and prospective students and parents, current and prospective faculty, alumni, media, and local community. Primary responsibilities include managing both internal and external school communications, and coordinating production of the school’s digital and print publications.
SF Day Fast Facts
- Independent, co-educational school
- Founded in 1981
- Serving 415 students
- Located in the heart of SF
Responsibilities and Opportunities
- Strategize and create all aspects of the school’s print and electronic communications, ensuring the continuity of the school’s brand and message.
- Champion SF Day’s brand, ensuring consistency of message, voice, and tone across all channels.
- Serve as writer, editor, and producer of all digital communications including weekly email newsletter, quarterly newsletter, annual magazine, parent emails and other communications.
- Oversee the work of graphic designers, print vendors, and other partners in production of printed materials and web visuals.
- Provide communications support materials and tools across school departments and program areas (templates, style guide, branding elements, etc.) to streamline communications of various events throughout the year.
- Manage all advertising, publicity, and public relations efforts with media and affiliate organizations.
- Coordinate a communications calendar to ensure thoughtful coordination of communications from various departments, incorporating consistent themes that support SF Day’s strategic plan and priorities.
- Help pioneer new ways for the school to communicate i.e. podcasts, emerging media, etc.
Digital Media Development
- Proactively manage the school website to keep content fresh, timely, and engaging, while monitoring functionality, site performance, and accuracy (in partnership with the Technology Team).
- Manage the school’s social media strategy, content, and presence.
- Develop a system for tracking website and social media analytics and effectiveness of SEO to recommend adjustments to online strategy in an effort to increase traffic and engagement with key audiences.
- Take high-quality photos that capture the story at all major school functions as well as “daily life” pictures to post regularly to the website and social media.
- Shoot and edit high-quality video for the purposes of producing admissions and other marketing videos.
- Manage photography needs for Advancement, Alumni Relations, Admissions, and some Student Activity events.
- Organize and maintain an image and digital asset library.
- Five to seven years of relevant full-time experience in marketing, public relations, communications and publications project management, preferably in a school setting.
- Excellent writing, editing, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, allowing one to work effectively with colleagues, solve problems, and represent Bentley in the community.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher.
- A strong understanding of the uses and mechanics of social media.
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter and work independently, multi-task, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects at once.
- Excellent technical skills (including MS Office, Mac OS X, Google Apps) and comfort with Content Management Software and desktop publishing software.
- Personality and disposition that is characterized by creativity, detail, intellectual curiosity, and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as school events and deadlines require.
Ready to Join SF Day?
SF Day celebrates and welcomes faculty and staff who reflect the broad range of diversity in the Bay Area. We encourage people of color and LGBTQ+ applicants to apply. SF Day offers excellent benefits and a competitive salary. Please apply online with your resume, salary expectations, and a thoughtful cover letter explaining why your experience is appropriate for this position to:
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org