Marin Academy seeks a full-time Director of Alumni Engagement. The Director is the extension of Marin Academy into the alumni community. The Director is responsible for the strategy, planning, and implementation of programs and projects that engage alumni with one another, students, and with MA today. Serving as an ambassador for the School, the Director of Alumni Engagement is charged with motivating alumni to be engaged and involved in a variety of ways. The Director should be a strong collaborator and communicator with a vision for alumni participation in the life of the School. The Director will report to the Director of Advancement and will be an integral member of the Advancement team. The Director will work collaboratively with the Head of School, members of the Board of Trustees, the Alumni Board, and the school’s administrative team and faculty to develop and execute programs of a local, regional and national interest to the School’s 4000 alumni.
The Director of Alumni Engagement will be responsible for:
- Developing, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive and systematic annual plan for alumni engagement to include strategies, initiatives and programs. This plan should consist of measurable goals and objectives.
- Demonstrating an understanding of the need for diverse and tailored programming based on demographic and psychographic differences among MA alumni to include, but not limited to, opportunities to engage with electronic communications via social media and the management of the Alumni Facebook Group, Alumni LinkedIn Group, The MA Circle website, and Instagram alumni-specific content generation.
- Designing a plan to recognize and appropriately acknowledge the achievements and life milestones of alumni.
- Continuing to manage and grow an Alumni Board to assist with the development of alumni events, reunions and relevant programs.
- Enlisting, motivating and training a corps of volunteers committed to successful alumni programming.
- Designing, implementing and evaluating an annual Alumni Reunion, which reflects the participation of volunteers and the support of a wide range of alumni.
- Cultivating and sustaining relationships with key alumni; identifying potential board members and significant donors.
- Organizing and building leadership in target cities and assisting area alumni in implementing regional gatherings.
- Creating dynamic partnerships and pilot programs across the school wherever alumni involvement could be beneficial to MA, including the Office of Admissions, College Counseling, and the Athletics Department.
- Creating and supervising the development of special programming for current students, specifically members of the Senior class.
- Working closely with the Director of Communications to create effective print and electronic communications while exhibiting a clear understanding of the importance of technology in advancing the Alumni Engagement program. A strategic communications plan should include regular and current electronic communications to keep alumni involved and engaged with MA, including content creation for the digital and print magazine, The NEXUS.
- Working closely with the Database Manager to maintain and track accurate and up-to-date information for alumni files.
- Working closely with the Director of the Annual Giving to develop plans for and support of increased alumni participation in the Annual Fund and for collaboration on annual Giving Day.
- Working closely with the Director of Advancement and Director of Annual Giving to identify key alumni donors and develop a pipeline for solicitation
- Participating in the planning and coordination of annual alumni solicitations and student phonathons.
- Traveling as necessary to fulfill the duties of the position.
The Director of Alumni Engagement should have:
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, allowing s/he to work effectively with colleagues and constituents, solve problems and represent Marin Academy to alumni.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- A strong understanding of the uses and basic mechanics of electronic media.
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Flexibility and the ability to work well with others.
- Ability to be a self-starter and work independently.
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and manage many different projects at once.
- Ability to create and understand big-picture issues and how they relate to the day-to-day tasks are critical.
- Strong public relations skills.
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with diverse populations.
- Familiarity with databases, such as Raiser’s Edge and Whipple Hill, a plus.
- Relevant experience in an independent school or college setting preferred.
Marin Academy is an independent, college preparatory high school located in the San Francisco Bay Area in San Rafael, CA with an enrollment of 440 students with academic talent, interest in the arts and athletics, and a passion for a multitude of issues. Our students come from San Francisco, the East Bay, and Sonoma in addition to Marin County. Marin Academy has a block schedule in which classes meet every other day for 80-minute periods. Salary and benefits are very competitive.
Marin Academy’s mission statement “asks every individual to think, question, and create in an environment of encouragement and compassion, and challenges each person to accept the responsibilities posed by education in a democratic society.” Marin Academy is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity. People of color and women are encouraged to apply. For more information about Marin Academy, please visit our website (www.ma.org).
The Office of Advancement values the relationships it builds with alumni, students, parents, and friends, whose philanthropy and engagement provide the margin of excellence essential to the school’s mission. We are committed to sustaining and strengthening these relationships, and to developing new ones, to secure the resources the school requires as it continues to grow in stature. In partnership with the entire Marin Academy community, we strive to communicate the school’s excellence and innovation in education and scholarship, to encourage support for current and future needs, and to take full advantage of the talent and energy of our volunteers as they advance the goals of the school.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org