Redwood Day School
Redwood Day is a vibrant, diverse K-8 school with over 400 students and 80+ faculty and staff all learning together on our four-acre campus in the heart of Oakland. Everything we do is designed to keep every child engaged and growing. Academically, that means a world-class curriculum, the best teachers, and a focus on the individual student. Socially and emotionally, we teach students to work through challenges, respect each other’s differences, and honor their diverse community. We find great strength in multiple perspectives and embrace every opportunity to weave diversity in thought and action into our social, emotional, and academic lives.
Job Description and Desired Qualifications
Redwood Day seeks an enthusiastic, dedicated advancement professional and fundraiser who will continue to build upon strong relationships with various constituencies, increase engagement within the community, and foster a thriving culture of philanthropy. The Director of Advancement is responsible for creating and administering a comprehensive program of fundraising and constituent relations efforts to advance the mission of the school. The Director will oversee all fundraising strategy and efforts, including the Annual Fund, Capital Campaigns, major gifts, planned giving, alumni relations, communications, grant writing and foundation support. They will work in close partnership with the Head of School, the Board of Trustees, and the Parent Guardian Association, and are an integral member of a highly collaborative administrative leadership team. They also supervise and develop advancement and communications staff with a strong orientation to executing the strategic goals set by the Board. The Director of Advancement must be someone who can create and sustain positive relationships with both internal and external constituents, leading them to support Redwood Day as donors, volunteers, and strong advocates in fulfillment of the school’s mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- 5+ years experience in the advancement/development field; preferably in an independent school environment or a comparable non-profit, mission driven organization
- Ability to strategically develop and execute fundraising projects
- An ability to cultivate, solicit, and secure major contributions
- Strong strategic planning skills
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Highly organized, capable of balancing and prioritizing concurrent projects and deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Exceptional team player
- Experience participating in Board level committees such as the Advancement Committee and Trustees Committee
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with advancement software (we currently use Raiser’s Edge)
- Commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity
Desired Qualifications and Traits:
- Experience managing a team of diverse individuals and supervising functions such as events coordination, advancement data management and communications
- Experience with executing mobile and/or social media campaigns for fundraising
- Experience with developing and overseeing alternative giving programs
- Experience with marketing and event management
- Willingness to work extended hours, including evenings and weekends
This is a full-time, exempt position.
Redwood Day offers highly competitive compensation and benefits.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and state laws. Employment at Redwood Day is “at-will”. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers are contingent on passing a background check and TB assessment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and Redwood Day Application Form electronically by June 21, 2019, to DirectorofAdvancement2019@rdschool.org, Attn: John Loeser, Head of School.
Redwood Day School is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, transitioned, transitioning or perceived to be transitioning), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy and breastfeeding, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, and physical or mental disability, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful. In addition, Redwood Day does not permit discrimination based on dressing consistently with one’s gender identity or gender expression, or preferred gender, name or pronoun usage.
To apply for this job email your details to DirectorofAdvancement2019@rdschool.org