Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School (KLS), an independent K-12 school in the San Francisco Bay Area, seeks a full-time Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management (High School), who will oversee all aspects of recruitment, enrollment and re-enrollment, and retention for our High School. The goal of the Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management (High School) is to support our High School program, located at our Los Altos Hills Campus, organize all online information sessions, provide content for the admissions section of the KLS High School website, and review and interview High School applicants. The Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management (High School) will also be responsible for launching the admission process for our online High School program.
The successful candidate will take an entrepreneurial approach to making appropriate use of all of the school’s resources and partnerships, and will be comfortable working in a start-up school environment. The candidate should be familiar with and enthusiastic about using Khan Academy or related resources to their fullest potential for both synchronous and asynchronous learning. Our teaching philosophy encourages meaningful inquiry and interdisciplinary work, and we utilize blended learning to meet the needs of each student.
As a member of the High School leadership team, you will contribute to refining how we can best empower young people to take control over their own learning. Ideally, you will be familiar with Khan Academy and Sal Khan’s book The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School (High School)
Khan Lab School (KLS) is a non-profit, mastery-based school founded by Salman Khan in 2014 to extend Khan Academy’s student-centered philosophy into a physical school environment. Furthering his vision for Khan Academy, Khan wrote and published The One World Schoolhouse, in which he argues for mastery-based, blended, and mixed-age learning coupled with a departure from traditional letter grades. Today the KLS community is bringing that vision to life and also sharing knowledge within education more broadly.
In each academic area at KLS, there is a minimum pace our students must meet, but learning is decoupled from age; the time it takes a student to finish a course will vary but the depth of mastery is constant. We believe that students cannot “master” a course by performing well on one assessment. Instead, students are expected to demonstrate mastery of all skills and content before they can obtain foundational credit, thereby removing “gaps” in their education.
Every student is assigned to a mixed-age cohort, which they can expect to be part of for two to three years. There are currently seven cohorts for students ages 5 to 18+. Students also partner with faculty to explore their passions and deepen their learning. The quality of learning remains high but as a lab school, instructional methods are constantly being reimagined and tested. Learning is supported through weekly advising, real-world application, and a culture that fosters student agency. Faculty and students do not simply adhere to the status quo in education. As a lab school, KLS is a model for innovation in education.
The KLS staff and teachers will represent the diversity of the students we intend to serve. We believe that standard hiring practices disproportionately hurt those most marginalized in society — including but not limited to Black and Indigenous people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and trans/gender-nonconforming individuals, and LGBTQIA+ individuals. We believe that these communities must be at the center of the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities. Our school’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in all of our content.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Khan Lab School seeks a talented Director of Admissions & Enrollment Management (High School) who possesses a thorough knowledge of schools that offer blended learning opportunities, including online environments, and who understand the vision and goals of our model. This person will be responsible for maintaining congruence between the school’s mission and all activities of the admission department. This is a full-time position.
Responsibilities include serving as a member of the leadership team, and working with the Executive Director, Los Altos Hills Campus, our KLS Department of Marketing and the marketing communications leadership at our co-located community college partner, to create and lead the strategic enrollment plan and direction, including enrollment and re-enrollment.
Additionally, candidates should be system-level thinkers that are constantly asking how they can improve and streamline the way learning is done at the school.
Role and Responsibilities
- Streamline the enrollment and re-enrollment process for our High School, ensuring accuracy of information to achieve data-driven decision making, ensuring process flow, and creating the structure and culture necessary to provide a quality student experience as it relates to the entire matriculation process.
- Represent and market KLS to prospective families and our community.
- Create an annual recruitment plan to include strategies and events.
- Work with the KLS Department of marketing on collateral materials (including but not limited to email marketing, website marketing, digital marketing tools like Niche, social media strategy, print/digital ads) and advertising.
- Ensure that the applicant pool compliments the school’s equity, inclusion, and justice goals.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of KLS’ admissions policies, practices, and procedures.
- Working with the Executive Director and the CFO, to support the KLS Financial Aid program.
- Effectively guide new families, students, and faculty through the post-admission process and all orientation events.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
Skills and Capabilities
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Highly efficient and effective communicator who is a results-oriented individual with strong business acumen and knowledge of best practices and current trends in the enrollment field.
- Leadership experience with current best practices in enrollment management, admissions, financial aid and registration.
- Experience with current and emerging technology (hardware and software solutions) related to recruitment, admissions and financial aid, including expertise with enrollment management systems and web-based recruitment efforts. Experience with data analytics.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with senior leadership on the integration of admissions and school-wide strategic goals.
- Leadership experience in recruiting and supporting a culture of inclusion and diversity.
- Ability to balance focusing on operational effectiveness with visionary and strategic thinking.
- Excellent communication skills, outstanding integrity, and the ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external constituents with complete confidentiality within a competitive environment.
- The vision, flexibility, energy, patience, adaptability, and sense of humor to lead successfully and cultivate growth.
- Familiarity with project management and communication tools such as video conferencing software, Asana, Slack, Finalsite, and Niche.
- Comfortable and excited about promoting the school at online and in person events.
- Experience writing for the web and leveraging the latest in social media marketing tools and trends to drive school recruitment and enrollment.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and learning new things
- A passion for our school’s emphasis on and team-wide commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Experience working in a multicultural educational environment.
WHAT WE OFFER
Khan Lab School is a community of learners and partners that have a deep commitment to their work. We get things done and believe that in our highly collaborative environment that anything is possible. All of our decisions are made through the lens of what is best for our students. We tackle tough questions without ego, are results oriented, and have high expectations for school and our students.
Khan Lab School offers a stimulating and unique working environment with a competitive salary and the flexibility to work and teach from anywhere. We seek team members who possess a unique skill set because this is a multi-faceted teaching and leadership position. To learn more about Khan Lab School or Khan Academy, please visit our websites.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Health, dental, and vision benefits
Start Date: March 2021
Location: Remote through June and will transition to in-person, on-site at our Mountain View/Los Altos Hills Campus location(s) when school reopens.
Number of Positions to be Filled: 1
Employment: Full Time
To qualify, please provide a resume and a letter of interest using the job link on our school’s Careers webpage. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated familiarity with the Sal Khan’s school model outlined in his book The One World Schoolhouse.
Khan Lab School is an EOE and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practice.
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment. While this is a fully-remote opportunity, Khan Lab School must follow guidelines set by the California Department of Health for all employees.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org