The Nueva Schol
The Nueva School’s Dean of College Counseling, Pat Goldsmith, has announced her retirement and relocation after a long and rewarding career spanning more than three decades. The school seeks a seasoned professional to assume Pat’s responsibilities as Dean to guide our third graduating class through the college admission process. The Dean will report to and work closely with the Head of School in continuing to expand our inaugural college counseling program. The successful candidate must have a strong background in college counseling in independent schools and/or experience in selective college admission, as well as be comfortable engaging with a diverse, high-achieving student body and their parents. It is essential that applicants understand and appreciate Nueva’s unique educational philosophy.
Nueva expanded its program in fall 2013 to include an upper school. The pioneering class of 74 students graduated in 2017, explored distinctive programs, and enrolled in a vast array of highly selective colleges and universities. During this rapid period of growth, the Dean of College Counseling and her team have created a comprehensive and dynamic program supporting students and families through the college search and application process. This next stage of growth is an opportunity to help build out Nueva’s college counseling program and establish Nueva’s reputation among colleges nationally and internationally as senior class sizes gradually increase from 74 to 115 each year.
Pat Goldsmith, who is conducting the search, is retiring from the position. The school has graduated three classes from its relatively new upper school, all of whom have matriculated at highly competitive institutions. This is an exceptional college counseling opportunity which will be well compensated (and will likely include a housing allowance).
- Educate students and parents about the college search/application process through programs, individual meetings, and seminars from grades 9 to 12.
- Communicate college options to individual students based on interests and profile; help students discover “fit” and build suitable college lists.
- Develop and nurture relationships with college and university representatives.
- Attend professional conferences, travel to college campuses, and promote Nueva as appropriate.
- Write comprehensive letters of recommendation and serve as students’ advocate throughout the application process.
- Assist students in all aspects of the college application process.
- Assist with course approval processes for the UC and NCAA.
- Regularly report to Board of Trustees, faculty, and other key constituents regarding trends in college admissions as well as student successes.
- Manage a team which currently includes a full time Associate Dean, a part time Assistant Dean, and a full time Operations Manager.
- BA/BS required. Advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years in independent school college counseling and/or selective college admission. Combination of the two preferred.
- Strong public speaking and written communication skills.
- Deep knowledge of all aspects of the college admission process.
- The ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Strong sense of initiative.
- Robust technology skills, including facility with Naviance.
- Unwavering sense of ethics and impeccable integrity.
- Demonstrated intellectual drive and curiosity.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- The ability to manage student and parental expectations with sensitivity and grace.
Compensation will be competitive and dependent on experience.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for at least three professional references here.To address specific questions, please email Pat Goldsmith at email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org