The College Preparatory School
The College Preparatory School in Oakland, California, seeks a Controller. This position will be open as of May 1, 2018.
Founded in 1960, College Prep is recognized as one of the leading independent high schools in the nation. Our mission states: “We believe in the foundational importance of scholarship, the value of dialogue, and the need for academically curious young people to belong to a kind, creative, diverse, and joyful community. We challenge our students to engage deeply in learning, appreciate one another, and grow into adults who are intellectually adventurous, ethically sure-footed, and generous of heart and spirit.”
The Controller is responsible for the overall management and integrity of the School’s financial records by overseeing financial transactions, maintaining appropriate records, preparing reports, developing and managing the budget with the CFO, and establishing and maintaining appropriate controls, policies and procedures. The School’s endowment is currently $22 million, and the annual operating budget is $15 million. We are seeking a collaborative team player with a high degree of integrity, accuracy, and in-depth finance and accounting experience.
The Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
General Accounting and Finance:
· Responsible for managing all accounting functions, ensuring accurate and timely financial information;
· Assist the CFO in developing, maintaining, and monitoring the School’s budgets (operating, capital, campaign);
- Prepare monthly financial statements, including variance analyses and full-year forecast;
· Prepare account reconciliations on a monthly basis;
· Maintain internal financial controls;
· Maintain compliance with governmental regulations and GAAP;
· Supervision of the Accounts Payable Specialist and review of accounts payable weekly;
· Provide all accounting, compliance, and budgeting support to The Partners Program, a separate 501(c)(3) that is related to College Prep.
· Serve as lead person for the annual audit, including reviewing and preparing schedules for auditors, and generating the financial statements and related footnotes;
· Coordinate preparation of all state and federal tax returns.
· Assist the CFO with long-term financial modeling, various financial analyses, and special projects as requested;
- Provide support for various committees including the Finance, Investment, Audit, and Financial Aid Committees, and other ad hoc committees as requested;
- Prepare information for all periodic surveys and reports for the School’s key external organizations (NAIS, NBOA, Cal-ISBOA, etc.);
- Perform clerical and administrative functions related to the Controller position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required; CPA highly desired
- 5+ years of accounting experience
- Experience in a non-profit organization or independent school preferred
- Proficiency in accounting systems and Microsoft Excel required; familiarity with Blackbaud systems preferred
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, and attention to detail
- Strategic and proactive problem-solving skills
- Financial modeling and forecasting skills
- Ability to solve problems, effectively and efficiently in a service-oriented manner
- Adaptability, tenacity, and the ability to maintain grace under pressure
Compensation is competitive and based on experience. Benefits include medical and dental coverage, a retirement plan, four weeks of vacation, and most pleasantly and collegially, a prepared lunch each day.
In order to apply, please go to https://collegeprep.applicantpro.com/jobs/753476-111801.html
College Prep does not sponsor applicants for work visas. For more information about our school, visit our website at www.college-prep.org.
College Prep, as an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in its hiring of employees on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital or veteran status, age or disability. We actively seek diversity among faculty and administration as well as among students.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com