The San Francisco School
Communications & Marketing Manager
Full Time, Year Round
Start Date: July 1, 2019 (Flexible start date)
The San Francisco School seeks a full-time Communications & Marketing Manager who will bring a range of communications, marketing, website management, social media, and graphic design experience to The San Francisco School. The Communications & Marketing Manager will articulate and communicate the school’s identity and unique characteristics to key constituents, enhancing our messaging within the SFS community as well as strengthening our external marketing position. The communications and marketing efforts will ultimately contribute to retention efforts, revenue growth, and help ensure SFS’s position in the San Francisco independent school market.
The Communications & Marketing Manager reports to the Director of Advancement and supports the work of the Advancement team. The manager will develop and deliver key messages, ensure consistency and continuity, and reinforce the mission and goals of The San Francisco School.
The Communications & Marketing Manager will collaborate with the school’s administrative team, faculty, and staff to develop and execute initiatives, remain current on key issues, and to cultivate positive relationships with the school’s community members.
The Communications & Marketing Manager will:
- Develop, refine, and manage the school’s messaging priorities
- Manage the school’s webpage, sfschool.org, and develop written content
- Craft and publish the weekly community email, the Tuesday Note Home
- Produce, in partnership with the Director of Advancement, the bi-annual community magazine, The Gaven Street Gazette
- Document and share campus activities and events
- Maintain the school’s social media presence
- Liaise with and guide faculty to highlight happenings in the classrooms through various mediums
- Manage ParentSquare , the school’s communication platform for staff and families
- Maintain and implement the school’s Style Guide, using consistent standards in all Advancement Office publications
- Apply the school’s look and feel to external materials, including Admissions and Advancement materials
As such, we are looking for a dynamic individual with strong verbal and written communication skills, a keen awareness of how to network and do outreach, and a strong ability to prioritize tasks.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the school’s webpage on a regular basis, including monthly written and visual content. Knowledge of html not necessary, but helpful. Liaise with outside vendors of web-based programs such as White Whale and Constant Contact.
- Craft and publish the Tuesday Note Home, an electronic communication sent via Constant Contact, when school is in session. This requires not only writing and editing content, but coordinating with various contributors and finding appropriate photos and images.
- Manage and monitor the school’s communication platform, ParentSquare.
- Train and support new and existing staff, parents, and trustees on communications platforms as necessary, e.g., website and ParentSquare.
- Produce, in partnership with the Director of Advancement, all publications and published materials, including The Gaven Street Gazette (produced bi-annually and includes the Annual Report), collateral for Advancement office initiatives, and information resources such as school handbooks. Work with the Director of Admissions to assist with the production of admissions collateral to assure visual and editorial consistency.
- Make regular updates to the school’s social media accounts, including, but not limited to, Facebook and Instagram. Participate in designing and/or refining the school’s social media strategy.
- Photograph and document happenings on campus, including major ceremonies as well as spontaneous moments.
- Manage the collection of photographs and videos for the school’s website, print publications, and archives.
- Manage students’ family photos for directory.
- Create promotional signage for school events.
- Engage as a member of the Advancement team, supporting work within the office during the school year. Participate in weekly Advancement Team meetings and monthly Advancement Committee meetings.
- Attend and assist in the execution of major school events, at a minimum including Field Day, Auction, Grandparents & Special Friends Day, and Graduation.
- Evaluate and pursue marketing, external relations, media relations, and advertising opportunities.
Qualifications and Abilities:
The Communications & Marketing Manager serves as the primary writer, editor, photographer, web-based communicator, production coordinator, and on occasion, graphic designer (more complicated offset print jobs can be contracted to our design firm). Freelance writers and out-of-house design support may be available on an as-needed and budgeted basis. As a result, the successful candidate will have a wide cross-section of skills and professional experiences.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Independent school, non-profit, and/or marketing/communications experience preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively with school representatives, parents, students, alumni, and donors
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Attention to detail and outstanding organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and Google Suite, and comfort with databases, social media, and emergent technologies. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Experience with digital photography, graphic design. Video production a plus
- Sound judgment relating to confidential projects, personnel, school, or student matters
- Ability to be a self-starter and work independently
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and manage many different projects at once
- A cooperative team approach with colleagues and a willingness to take on responsibilities beyond those explicitly defined
Overview of School
The San Francisco School is an independent school, preschool through eighth grade, with a commitment to being a multicultural and inclusive community. Suitably characterized by one parent as an “urban school with a village atmosphere” the school embraces San Francisco’s ethnic, cultural and economic diversity. Our progressive approach to education encourages children to develop self-reliance, solid academic skills, creativity, and a commitment to social justice. Students graduate academically prepared, inquisitive, courageous, and eager for the challenges ahead.
Interested candidates may apply by sending a single document with your resume, 3 references and letter of interest (including how you learned of this job) directly to email@example.com:
Director of Advancement
The San Francisco School
The San Francisco School is committed to increasing staff diversity, both to reflect the high value SFS places on a multicultural understanding, and for the direct benefit of each student
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org