The Athenian School
The Athenian School, Danville, CA
Full-time Exempt Position: Communications Manager
About the position:
The Communications Manager is responsible for maintaining the School’s brand and for generating and distributing consistent, high-quality communications both internally and externally. The Communications Manager will report to the Director of Advancement and work in collaboration with all members of the School’s leadership team to carry out strategic communications that promote School programs and events to current and prospective families, and support donor and community engagement. This position will manage key digital and print communications including the website, e-communications, social media, and the Athenian Magazine.
This position is classified as Full Time, Exempt, Staff.
- Draft, edit and distribute the School’s weekly email communications to parents and trustees, monthly e-newsletters to new parents, and other special communications as needed.
- Serve as the webmaster for the School’s external website and assume responsibility for maintaining content. This includes proactive oversight and updates as well as recommendations and project management of website redesigns.
- Proactively monitor and maintain the School’s online brand including ensuring search engine optimization and updating School description on review sites.
- Serve as managing editor of the Athenian Magazine.
- Curate digital media content for established school-wide channels and partner with content generators for specialized outlets such as athletics and alumni relations.
- Photograph school events and key activities for use in publications, the school website, and social media. Grow and manage a digital photo library.
- Assist the Head of School, Director of Advancement, and Director of Admissions with strategic communications, marketing materials, and web content.
- Help train and support the internal community on established style and brand guidelines and review major school communications prior to distribution.
- Create, design, and help distribute a variety of event invitations, donor communications, and signage, and interface with vendors to ensure a quality end-product.
- Be an active member of the Advancement team, attend school-wide events, and help document the School’s history through compelling storytelling and images.
Skills and Abilities:
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write, edit, and manage the production of print and digital communications.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to develop and adhere to project timelines.
- Must be proactive, independent, and strategic.
- Some experience with graphic design, video, and print production required.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, public relations or a related course of study, OR 3 years of experience in a communications or marketing role. Experience in a nonprofit and educational setting preferred.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite and Google suite.
- Experience working with content management systems (CMS) like WordPress or Squarespace and knowledge of basic HTML. Website redesign experience or direct experience with Blackbaud OnMessage/School Website is a plus.
- Graphic design and photo editing experience (e.g., photo retouching and resizing using Adobe Photoshop; experience with a WYSIWYG, template-driven graphics app, like Canva).
- Experience with a mainstream ESP (Email Service Provider) like Mailchimp.
- Experience with social media scheduling tools such as HootSuite or Sprout Social
If interested, please apply electronically by emailing a cover letter and resume (as a single attachment) to Shoshana Ziblatt, Director of Advancement at email@example.com. Subject line should reference job title. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Athenian’s salary and benefits are competitive and include medical, vision, and dental insurance, a retirement plan, a smoke-free environment, and a daily prepared lunch. Some weekend and evening work required.
The Athenian School is a distinctive independent school that prepares its students for college and for lives of meaning and purpose. Athenian encourages students to become life-long learners and infuses them with confidence, independence, personal responsibility and a sense of community. Enrollment in grades 6-12 is 531 students, including 60 boarding students, 48 of whom are international students. We ask that applicants take time to read about Athenian’s history and philosophy (visit our website: www.athenian.org).
Every employee is an Athenian community member, and as such, embraces the cornerstones of Athenian’s philosophy: respect; open, direct communication; honesty; fairness; responsibility; and dedication to the students in their intellectual and personal growth. Additionally, active support for environmental conservation, international understanding, equity, inclusion, justice, participatory government, outdoor education, and service is essential. Cultural competence is an expectation of employment for all professional staff at Athenian. As a school that from its founding has valued the worth and integrity of each individual, we are particularly interested in candidates with a proven commitment to teaching and working in a diverse, multicultural setting.
The Athenian School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, faith, sex, gender or gender expression, age, ability, sexual orientation, familial or marital status. The Athenian School is actively seeking to create a more culturally diverse school community and as such, we encourage people of color and members of the LGBTIQ community to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org