Redwood Day is a vibrant K-8 school with over 385 students and 80+ faculty and staff all learning together on our four-acre campus in the heart of Oakland. Everything we do is designed to keep every child engaged and growing. Academically, that means a world-class curriculum, the best teachers, and a focus on the individual student. Socially and emotionally, we teach students to work through challenges, respect each other’s differences, and honor their diverse community. We find great strength in multiple perspectives and embrace every opportunity to weave diversity in thought and action into our social, emotional, and academic lives.
The Classroom Aide will be primarily responsible for supporting a student with special needs entering 6th grade in the fall of 2018. The student is a charming, highly intelligent girl with a strong work ethic and loves to learn. The Aide will support the student in class to maximize access to the curriculum, working in close coordination with her teachers and parents. They will also plan and prepare for the week’s lessons in advance to identify support needs and prepare relevant materials.
Specific responsibilities would include the following:
- Previewing and identifying lessons that present visual-perceptual, fine motor or other challenges and formulating adaptations
- Preparing materials (such as enlarged worksheets, manipulatives, or alternative formats) in advance to minimize “on the fly” adaptations
- Working side-by-side with the student or with her group to ensure she is able to perform the tasks
- Provide additional lesson work or review in a one-to-one setting where required to ensure the student has the expected command of the material
- Identify areas of difficulty in the curriculum for home follow-up and/or outside specialists
- Focus would be on core academics: math, science, English, history, Spanish, as well as supporting accessibility in other specialty curricula
- Work with specialists to evaluate additional recommendations, assistive technologies, by-pass strategies, or assist in curriculum development
- Help supervise and provide support during recess to promote healthy social interactions
- Participate in various school events and meetings throughout the day that are directly related to 6th grade
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent or 48 Semester College Units or certification as an instructional assistant/aide
- Experience with evaluating a child’s unique learning needs and developing potential adaptations, including comfort with and ability to evaluate technologies that could be used to support the student
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact positively and constructively with others, including with parents, teachers, administrators and other students
- Initiative and creativity
- Experience collaborating with teachers, administrators and parents
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Prior work experience in an educational environment working with children with special needs
This is a full time position with the working hours of 8:00AM – 3:45PM.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Employment is on an “at-will” basis. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. Offers contingent on passing background check and TB risk assessment, and if necessary, TB test.
Redwood Day is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, religion color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, transitioned, transitioning or perceived to be transitioning), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy and breastfeeding, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful consideration by federal, state or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. In addition, Redwood Day does not permit discrimination based on dressing consistently with one’s gender identity or gender expression, or preferred gender, name or pronoun usage.
Candidates should send a letter of intent, resume, and completed RDS Employment Application.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com