Website Childrens Day School
Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade school serving over 470 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty, and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
CDS is located on a beautiful, secluded half-acre in the Mission near Dolores Park. Our after care program employs the use of indoor classrooms, environmental ed. kitchen, wood chips area and climbing structure, farm and garden (featuring four chickens and two sheep!), and a play yard among the largest of independent schools in the city.
CDS seeks a dynamic after school teacher for the after care program. Reporting to the Extended Program Director, the teacher is responsible for developing and leading engaging after school club activities for students in grades K – 4 and supporting the operation of the program. In addition, during school-day hours, this position will support school day classrooms by supervising recess and lunch as well as substituting as needed. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
● The position runs until the close of school in mid-June 2020.
● Daily schedule is 9 AM to 5:30 PM Monday – Friday (hours may vary slightly).
● 9 AM – 2:30 PM are classroom support/subbing hours. 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM are aftercare hours.
● Employment (often full-time) during summer program and vacation camps is optional, as well.
The Successful Candidate Will:
● Create and lead popular and engaging activities.
● Have experience teaching or leading youth activities.
● Demonstrate the ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and collaborate effectively with colleagues, students and parents.
● Model behavior and language that supports our mission and our program.
● Display excellent rapport with children and families.
● Display excellent classroom management.
● Express the desire and ability to take on increasing responsibility in the classroom and the CDS community, and to participate generously.
● Display a passion for learning and a commitment to personal-professional growth.
● Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Work effectively with children, families, and staff of diverse backgrounds and family structures.
● Communicate and problem-solve with the school day teaching staff about students and families.
● Have at least an associate’s degree (AA) or equivalent credit
● Be proficient in technology: email, word processing, photos, etc.
$19-22/hr depending on education and experience, plus benefits offered including medical, dental, and vision, and a retirement plan. 35-40 hours/week.
Physical Demands of Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a school employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions. Reasonable accommodation may be requested to enable individuals to perform the essential responsibilities of the job:
● Ability to sit, stand, move, communicate, hear and read during the course of normal teaching activities;
● Able to think and concentrate for sustained periods of time, and to perform teaching responsibilities with patience and professionalism required to effectively work with children;
● In person attendance necessary to perform essential job functions;
● May be exposed to childhood illnesses.
Required Screenings: TB Assessment Clearances: Livescan background check
CDS is an equal opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability, and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.
To apply, visit http://www.cds-sf.org
Send resume, cover letter, names of 3 references and an idea for an engaging club activity for elementary aged students
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org