Castilleja is a dynamic, diverse, and intentional educational community for students in grades 6-12 that believes in the power of women learning and women leading. Founded in 1907, Castilleja fulfills its mission to educate young women to become confident thinkers and compassionate leaders with a sense of purpose to effect change in the world.
The Fitness Department seeks an innovative, inclusive Fitness educator to inspire and engage our students in a curriculum that prepares them for lifelong engagement in physical activity and a healthy lifestyle. Specifically, the Fitness Teacher reports to the Fitness Department Head but works closely with other Fitness teachers and the Wellness Department, as well as grade level colleagues.
Castilleja is a collaborative learning and working environment where we actively support one another’s professional growth and seek interdisciplinary opportunities. At Castilleja we know that students thrive when learning happens within and beyond classroom walls and when students actively witness the adults in their lives engaging in the greater community. Faculty are invited to and supported as they connect with our global programs, advise student community engagement clubs and affinity/identity spaces, and inspire new ways to bring arts to life on campus.
Important commitments and qualifications for the Fitness Teacher include:
• Building and sustaining authentic relationships based on mutual trust
• Creating and complementing curriculum that is responsive to students’ needs and identities
• Supporting a classroom culture of collaboration and community
• Demonstrating a commitment to antiracist values and pedagogy
• Understanding adolescent realities with compassion
• Incorporating various modes of teaching and assessing
• Supporting community-wide programming beyond the Fitness classroom
• Displaying an unabashed love of learning
A minimum of three years prior teaching experience, preferably in the classroom
Experience working with adolescents
Proficiency with technology in and out of the classroom
Undergraduate degree in Physical Education and/or Kinesiology preferred
To apply for this job please visit castilleja.applytojob.com.