St. James' Episcopal School
St James’ School is seeking a dynamic Business Operations and Accounting Manager who will have both strategic and tactical responsibilities for the oversight of all areas pertaining to the School’s business operations. Areas of scope include accounting, financial analysis, financial reporting, and contracting. This role reports to the Chief Financial Officer, and will join a multi-employee Business Office with accounting, procurement and HR responsibilities.
The Business Operations and Accounting manager will work closely with and help coordinate and direct some projects completed by other business office team members. The Business Operations and Accounting Manager will also help manage the work of some contractors, including IT.
The ideal candidate has exceptional time management and organization skills and is able to balance progress on strategic projects with day to day responsibilities. The candidate should have demonstrated success identifying and implementing operational improvements. It is a full time, non-exempt position, including a full benefits package and professional development opportunities.
- Perform financial analysis including actual performance compared to budget
- Evaluate the financial and other impacts of potential changes in operations. Provide information and research to CFO and Head of School for decision support.
- Perform accounting and banking reconciliations as part of monthly accounting close and other periodic reviews
- Ensure business office procedures support accurate and compliant financial statement reporting and protect school assets from fraud or error.
- Manage annual financial statement audit.
- Assess training needs of business office and develop and implement strategies to meet those needs.
- Provide compliance updates to the CFO.
- Partner with HR manager to perform staffing, scheduling and payroll analyses.
- Serve as reviewer and back-up for bi-weekly payroll process.
- Other duties as assigned by Head of School, CFO, or designee.
- Bachelor’s degree in in a related field preferred.
- Five or more years of experience in business operations and/or accounting and/or business analysis, preferably in a school environment.
- Thorough knowledge of Excel, including pivot tables, vlookups and charts. Agility in learning various software including Accounting software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- High level of flexibility, agility and responsiveness in negotiating the needs of the various constituencies of the School and representatives from other organizations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information and issues.
St. James’ Episcopal School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, ancestry, national origin, disability, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local discrimination laws.
About St. James’ Episcopal School
St. James’ Episcopal School is a community that values academic rigor, compassion, curiosity, kindness, critical inquiry and joy through excellence. We adhere to a strong belief that an elementary school’s primary purpose is to inculcate in children a lifelong love of learning, a commitment to community, a profound curiosity about people and the world, and gratitude for the opportunity to make our complex world more compassionate, empathetic and nurturing to all of God’s children.
Established in 1968, and encompassing most of a block on St. Andrews Place, and a preschool on Gramercy Place, St. James’ is comprised of 365 students and over 73 employees, whom we refer to as “staffulty” due to the belief that everything at St. James’ is the curriculum and that all employees are teachers.
St. James’ offers a very generous health care plan, pension plan, professional development and vacation and sick leave.
Candidates interested in this position may email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Business Operations & Accounting Manager”.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com