Presidio Hill School
Presidio Hill School
San Francisco, CA
Job Title: Business Office Associate / Assistant to the Head of School
Status: Full-Time, non-exempt, 12-month
Reports To: Director of Finance and Operations/ Head of School
Start Date: December 2020
Presidio Hill School is an independent, progressive school located in the Presidio Heights neighborhood of San Francisco and serves a diverse population of approximately 220 students in transitional kindergarten to 8th grade, with a faculty and staff of approximately 45 people. Established in 1918 by artist-educator-activists Helen Salz and Flora Arnstein, Presidio Hill School is the oldest continuously operating progressive school in California, with a mission and history connected to social justice. Our vibrant, diverse, and supportive community continues to emphasize community and justice and encourages students to develop self-awareness, personal character, resilience, and an understanding of their role as stewards of the planet and citizens of the world.
Presidio Hill offers its students a challenging, project-based curriculum that attends to their intellectual and social-emotional needs and prepares them to be agents of positive social change. Learning at PHS is collaborative and active. We place great value on the arts as both an academic discipline and an essential element of a meaningful life. Situated on the edge of the Presidio, our school takes full and frequent advantage of the park’s 1,500 acres; whether they are studying science, art, social studies, or literature, the Presidio is a rich and vital “classroom” to our students.
Presidio Hill School strives to maintain a faculty and staff that reflects the broad range of diversity in the San Francisco Bay Area. Invested in the growth, happiness, and preparation of our teachers, we provide generous support for their professional development.
Presidio Hill School is looking for a personable, organized, flexible and detail-oriented person to partner with and provide support to the Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) and the Head of School. This is a unique position for a hands-on person who enjoys being actively involved in the life of a vibrant progressive school. The ideal candidate will possess an established skill set of accounting/finance and administrative support skills, a welcoming presence, and will work well with a wide range of constituents: students, their parents, teachers, staff, administrators, and visitors to the school. As a member of the extended administrative team, the Business Office Associate/Assistant to the Head of School will be integrally involved in planning and problem-solving. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Business Office Associate – 2.5 days/week
- Coordinate Accounts receivable and Payable functions
- Coordinate all bookkeeping and account reconciliations
- Coordinate human resources functions, such as managing employee enrollments and onboarding/offboarding
- Reconcile fundraising accounts with Development Office
- Assist the Director of Finance and Operations in preparing all work in connection with the yearly audit of the School.
Assistant to Head of School – 2.5 days/week
- Managing the Head of School’s calendar
- Assisting with some elements of communication for Head
- Managing and reconciling School Credit Card use
- Serving as administrative liaison to the Board of Trustees
- Helping to organize board materials
- Working with Board Secretary to manage Board communications
- Placing and tracking orders
- Providing administrative support for school events
- Assisting with special projects and research, and providing thought collaboration on school matters
- Supervising students on Yard or Lunch duties
- Other duties as assigned by Head of School
General Professional Responsibilities
Presidio Hill School is committed to hiring and retaining employees who are committed to the mission of the school and the professional expectations that stem from that mission: that commitment should be visible through all the employee’s interactions with children, colleagues, supervisors, families, and community members. PHS employees are expected to be knowledgeable, prepared, and responsive, to strive for high standards of professional integrity and proficiency, to maintain positive and respectful communications and interactions with all members of the PHS community, and to ensure the health, safety, and well being of PHS students at all times. Employees should be strongly motivated to continually strive for best practices and to seek out appropriate professional development opportunities; PHS provides generous support for professional development. All PHS employees are expected to read and follow the policies and procedures as described in the Faculty/Staff Guidebook and the PHS Employee Handbook.
Skills and Qualifications
- BA in Accounting or Bookkeeping or equivalent required Note: 3-5 years experience as bookkeeper or Accounts Payable/Receivable Specialist may be exchanged for BA in Accounting
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Accounting Software strongly preferred
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint required
- Experience with Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Forms) highly desirable
- Experience working with children and administrators in a school setting strongly preferred
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, contact information for two to three references, and/or letters of reference via email (with Business Associate and Head’s Assistant in the subject line) to Tony Morgan (Director of Finance and Operations): email@example.com by November 13, 2020.
To learn more about PHS, please visit our website.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org