Website Bishop O'Dowd High School
2021-2022 Science (Chemistry Emphasis) Teacher (Full-Time)
Bishop O’Dowd Mission/Charism
Mission: Bishop O’Dowd High School is a Catholic college-preparatory community, guided by the teachings of Jesus Christ, that educates its diverse student body to build a more just, joyful and sustainable world.
Finding God In All Things Calls Us to:
Community in Diversity
Strength of Character
Kinship With Creation
Bishop O’Dowd High School is seeking excellent candidates for a high school Chemistry teacher with a Physics emphasis for the 2021-2022 academic year. This is a full-time position, teaching five sections each semester and participating in the O’Dowd community. The successful candidate will be able to masterfully teach high school level ranging from life sciences and project-based engineering courses.
The ideal candidate will also have a commitment to bringing diversity, equity, and inclusion into their teaching practice and a demonstrated interest in Catholic education, educational technology, and a working knowledge of NGSS guidelines and applications.
Other responsibilities may include teaching electives, maintaining regular office hours, supporting student co-curricular activities, and collaborating regularly with colleagues. Teachers at Bishop O’Dowd High School are responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing an appropriate instructional program in alignment with Bishop O’Dowd High School’s Integral Student Outcomes. The individual in this position will collaborate most closely with their respective department team, ensuring consistency across grade-levels and content areas. Teachers are also expected to collaborate and communicate consistently with counselors to ensure whole-student support and success while maintaining open and engaging lines of communication with guardians and families.
Job requirements may include but are not limited to:
- Plan, prepare, and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning and are in accordance with school standards
- Observe and evaluate student performance and development
- Use appropriate technology to support and differentiate instruction
- Encourage and monitor student progress and use data to enhance or adjust teaching strategies
- Provide appropriate feedback in a timely manner
- Maintain accurate and complete records of student progress and mastery
- Work outside the normal schedule periodically in order to collaborate with colleagues
- Maintain restorative policies in accordance with the rules of Bishop O’Dowd High School
- Participate constructively and professionally in department, school, and parent meetings
- Participate constructively and professional in departmental and school-wide professional development
- Participate in co-curricular activities such as social activities, sporting events, clubs, retreats, student organizations, student advisories, and affinity spaces as directed
A successful candidate will:
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Articulate and skillfully promote equity and justice work as well as anti-biased teaching and learning
- Establish a classroom culture that is built on strong teacher-student relationships and allows for risk-taking
- Have comfort and skill in personal inquiry and reflection of anti-racist practices and racial consciousness
- Provide a differentiated curriculum addressing various skill levels and learning styles/differences
- Provide inquiry-based teaching strategies and real-world applications
- Have familiarity with classroom-based technology and implement relevant applications for classroom instruction and student learning
- Be self-aware and able to build on others’ ideas, capitalize on others’ strengths, and effectively share responsibility
- Be coachable and open to constructive feedback from both peers and supervisors
- Demonstrate a drive to learn and constantly seek ways to improve professional skills and implement best practices
- Have knowledge of the developmental stages of adolescents ages 13-18
- Initiate, fully participate in, and foster strong collegial and student relationships across diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrate value and willingness to support and mentor students beyond designated class periods
- Have knowledge of and experience with restorative practices
- Have a growth mindset, positive attitude, flexibility, and passion for helping all students reach their potential
- Support the Catholic mission and charism of the school
- Work with pride and enthusiasm as a member of the O’Dowd community
- Be flexible and seek growth and change opportunities
- Demonstrated understanding of and passion for high school education and adolescent development.
- Evidenced knowledge of and experience in subject area, culturally responsive teaching, and social-emotional learning
- Proven ability to differentiate learning and provide experiences for varied learning styles
- Ability to foster a safe, inclusive, equitable, and joyful learning environment
- Nuanced understanding of DEI from a personal and/or professional perspective
- Experience authentically engaging with diverse working environments
- Proven success collaborating with colleagues and innovating practices
- Bachelor’s degree and/or related education or experience applicable to the responsibilities of the position
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Additionally, all personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Pre-employment background screening is required for all positions.
For more information on Bishop O’Dowd High School, please see our website at: http://bishopodowd.org.
Bishop O’Dowd High School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment policies and procedures. It follows the Diocese of Oakland’s policies prohibiting illegal harassment, retaliation or discrimination. However, as a Roman Catholic high school with a stated mission, goals and objectives that clearly reflect the teachings and educational philosophy of the Diocese of Oakland, Bishop O’Dowd High School reserves the right to require all current and prospective employees to commit to carry out their duties and responsibilities in a manner that clearly and unconditionally demonstrates support of and respect for the school’s mission and Catholic identity. Persons who in good conscience are unable to agree to this commitment should not seek or accept employment at Bishop O’Dowd High School.
As a faith-based institution, we reserve the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job duties.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com