St. Paul's Episcopal School
Associate Music Teacher/Band Director
St. Paul’s Episcopal School, located across from Lake Merritt in Oakland, enrolls 380 students from diverse backgrounds in Kindergarten-Grade 8. St. Paul’s provides an education that is intellectually challenging, culturally pluralistic, and morally and spiritually enriching. Caring, committed faculty members, in partnership with parents, serve as role models, mentors, and guides. St. Paul’s has an academically talented and ethnically diverse student body and seeks the same in its faculty.
St. Paul’s Episcopal School seeks to fill the Associate Music Teacher and Director of Band position for the 2019-2020 academic year.
The Associate Music Teacher/Band Director works alongside the Director of Music to create a rich and diverse learning experience for our students. The Associate Music Teacher/Band Director is responsible for providing musical accompaniment for 4th and 5th grade choir classes; supporting the music director in all classes from 4th through 8th grade; supporting setup, management, and breakdown of sound equipment for weekly school assemblies; collaborating with music department and administration for annual school concerts; leading both beginner and intermediate/advanced after-school band classes; supporting grade level-led weekly assemblies; various other schoolwide supportive duties including but not limited to: lunch duty, elective classes, and general support of students.
The ideal candidate:
– enjoys working with children
– can offer ideas and musicianship to a world music program where rhythm is the foundation for musical expression
– is comfortable working in a highly collaborative professional environment
– can demonstratie advanced accompaniment skills on either guitar or piano;
– is enthusiastic about supporting a diverse array of musical traditions (world, folk, rock, soul)
– has excellent communication skills with both children and adults
– has a Bachelor’s Degree in instrumental music performance*
– has 2-3 years experience teaching instrumental music to students with varying levels of ability*
– is a competent instrumental arranger for contemporary bands
– has some experience managing/setting up live sound equipment*
– experience/interest in working with large ensembles of students
– proficiency with common music software*
The Associate Music Teacher/Band Director position invites music educators who love all kinds of music to apply. Our School values the power of music to bring people together. All students and faculty participate in music. We also support those who wish to explore more advanced expressions of music. If you’re looking for an eclectic, supportive, and collaborative music environment where kids come first, we’re looking for you.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit coverletter, resume, and references addressed to Josh Stern, Head of School. Please send materials electroniclly in PDF format to:
Suzanne Abbey, Interim Assistant to the Head: email@example.com
Guy de Chalus, Music Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and excellent benefits, commensurate with experience.
We fully and actively support equal opportunity for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com