The Athenian School
Full-time Exempt Position: Associate Director of Advancement, Advancement Services
The Athenian School is seeking an experienced, detail-oriented, analytical, and proactive database expert who can help amplify our fundraising efforts.
About the Position:
The Associate Director of Advancement Services is responsible for supporting the overall fundraising goals of the School and is a senior member of the Advancement team. Reporting to the Director of Advancement, this position is responsible for providing strategic leadership and long-range and short-term planning for gift processing, database integrity, prospect research and management, reporting, and data analysis. In addition, the Associate Director of Advancement Services will provide oversight of the gift entry and acknowledgment process, ensuring accurate and timely processing of all gifts, and will serve as the primary liaison between Advancement and Finance.
- Oversee and maintain Athenian’s donor database system, Raiser’s Edge, to serve the current and future needs of the School.
- Strategize use of the donor database, reporting tools, and technology platforms to support workflow and fundraising efforts.
- In conjunction with the Advancement Director, assess current database utilization and develop, document, update and disseminate effective policies and procedures to ensure efficient and advanced use of Raiser’s Edge.
- Build and run highly complex Raiser’s Edge queries, mailings, exports, and reports to support fundraising efforts of staff and volunteers.
- Create and implement standardized prospect management database policies and procedures and produce reports for staff use.
- Develop and implement data oversight functions and train staff to ensure that a high standard of “clean” data is maintained.
- Oversee, and when needed assist with, gift and pledge processing and acknowledgment, and reconciliation/audit preparation with Finance.
- In partnership with the Director of Advancement, provide operational oversight of all department data-related information systems (i.e. Mailchimp and ImportOmatic)
- Coordinate with the Technology Department to troubleshoot Raiser’s Edge issues and upgrades and serve as the primary point person between Advancement and Technology.
- In partnership with the Director of Advancement, supervise the Advancement Services Manager on Raiser Edge duties such as address updates and gift entry, to ensure data integrity.
- Support prospect research efforts by maintaining timely updates and use of ResearchPoint.
- Actively participate as member of the community and Advancement team and attend donor and other School events as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5-7 years of database management experience required, preferably in a complex and nonprofit environment.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience and proficiency with Raiser’s Edge version 7and/or Raiser’s Edge NXT, and plug-ins like ImportOmatic.
- Demonstrated expertise in key Raiser’s Edge functions such as writing queries, list management, data manipulation, and reporting.
- Possesses a strong understanding of data flow between different systems and has a working knowledge of best-practices to ensure data integrity.
- Demonstrated ability and experience documenting, supporting, and teaching/training others in the use of databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
- Understanding of major gift and Annual Fund fundraising principles.
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously with changing priorities and tight deadlines, as either project lead or team participant.
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills, and demonstrated use of initiative.
- Possesses a genuine excitement in seeing behind-the-scenes systems work impact meaningful fundraising initiatives.
- Fluency in MS Office Suite and Google apps.
- Management experience desired.
- Donor research experience a plus.
- Advanced technology certifications a plus.
Timeline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Initial review of applications will begin on January 7, 2019. The target start date is February 20, depending on scheduling availability.
How to apply: If interested, please apply electronically by emailing a cover letter and resume (as a single attachment) to Shoshana Ziblatt, Director of Advancement at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The benefits package includes professional development opportunities.
The Athenian School is a distinctive independent school that prepares its students for college and for lives of meaning and purpose. Athenian encourages students to become life-long learners and infuses them with confidence, independence, personal responsibility and a sense of community. Enrollment in grades 6-12 is 531 students, including 60 boarding students, 48 of whom are international students. We ask that applicants take time to read about Athenian’s history and philosophy (visit our website: www.athenian.org).
Every employee is an Athenian community member, and as such, embraces the cornerstones of Athenian’s philosophy: respect; open, direct communication; honesty; fairness; responsibility; and dedication to the students in their intellectual and personal growth. Additionally, active support for environmental conservation, international understanding, equity, inclusion, justice, participatory government, outdoor education, and service is essential. Cultural competence is an expectation of employment for all professional staff at Athenian. As a school that from its founding has valued the worth and integrity of each individual, we are particularly interested in candidates with a proven commitment to teaching and working in a diverse, multicultural setting.
Athenian School strives to attract and retain a faculty and staff of the highest caliber. We have a unique community here, filled with many differing opinions, backgrounds, ideologies and experiences. We have students from all over the globe, our families include a mom and a dad, two moms, two dads, single parents, guardians and stepparents. We have many faiths and those who are non-observant. We represent all income levels. What we share is a belief in Athenian’s mission. By embracing diversity in all forms — gender and gender identity, sexuality, faith, ethnicity, socio-economic status — we encourage students to take intellectual risks, to challenge their own assumptions and to learn to work collaboratively as global citizens and advocates for positive change.
The Athenian School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, faith, sex, gender or gender expression, age, ability, sexual orientation, familial or marital status. The Athenian School is actively seeking to create a more culturally diverse school community and as such, we encourage people of color and members of the LGBTIQ community to apply.
Athenian’s salary and benefits are competitive and include medical, vision, and dental insurance, a retirement plan, a smoke-free environment, and a daily prepared lunch.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org