The Bay School of San Francisco
Position: Assistant Director of College Counseling
Reports to: Director of College Counseling
100% FTE, Start Date: August 1, 2019
Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, The Bay School is an independent, college preparatory high school committed to providing its 375 students with a challenging, innovative curriculum and a collaborative, supportive community. Our flexible, open-minded staff and faculty members foster and model curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, good humor and respect for diversity. As co-builders of a young high school, they contribute to an impactful community. Our campus also serves as headquarters for the CATDC (California Teacher Development Collaborative).
The Bay School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to having a faculty and staff and a student body that reflect the diversity of the Bay Area. We strongly encourage candidates of color to apply.
For more information about The Bay School, including Bay’s official school profile that includes an overview of the campus and facilities, student body breakdown, academic highlights and college placements, and mindfulness, please visit our website at https://www.bayschoolsf.org.
The Assistant Director of College Counseling is an integral part of the college counseling team who provides a process that is holistic in nature and focuses the college search process on individual fit. The Assistant Director works closely and collaboratively with colleagues in the College Counseling Office to develop and implement thoughtful, effective college counseling strategies, innovative programming and best practices in the context of The Bay School. The Assistant Director provides a framework and guidance to the members of each year’s graduating class through the transition to post-secondary education.
- Work with students and their families throughout the college process.
- Maintain a personalized approach to college counseling, reinforcing the “fit” in the college process and making recommendations of colleges of interest and assist students in developing a thoughtful and well-balanced list
- Co-teach a weekly college counseling course.
- Educate families about college, the admissions process, trends, procedures and testing.
- Assist in coordinating and presenting at college information programs/events for student and parents.
- Write a comprehensive school recommendation letter for assigned students in the senior class.
- Complete assigned administrative duties (i.e. sending application documents, scheduling college representative visits, etc.).
- Meet with colleges who visit The Bay School; cultivate relationships and serve as a liaison with college admissions officers throughout the academic year.
- Visit colleges and universities throughout the academic year and attend national and regional conferences and meetings
The ideal candidate has:
- A Bachelor’s degree (required)
- Experience working in selective college admission and/or independent school-based college counseling (preferably at least 2 years)
- Deep knowledge of college application and financial aid requirements and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Appreciation for and commitment to the mission and precepts of The Bay School
- Demonstrated ability to manage numerous detailed tasks, anticipate and meet deadlines, problem-solve independently and work collaboratively
- Experience working well with students and adults of all backgrounds
- Proficiency with information technology including Google apps and SCOIR
- A lively sense of humor
Bay offers a salary commensurate with experience and a competitive benefits package. To apply, please send a cover letter stating your interest and highlights of your experience along with your resume to Katie Koene, Assistant to the Heads of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates may be subject to background checks. Start date August 1, 2019; consideration of candidates to begin immediately.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com