Redwood Day School
Redwood Day is a vibrant K-8 independent school with over 385 students and 80+ faculty and staff all learning together on our four-acre campus in the heart of Oakland. Everything we do is designed to keep every child engaged and growing. Academically, that means a world-class curriculum, the best teachers, and a focus on the individual student. Socially and emotionally, we teach students to work through challenges, respect each other’s differences, and honor their diverse community. We find great strength in multiple perspectives and embrace every opportunity to weave diversity in thought and action into our social, emotional, and academic lives.
Job Description and Desired Qualifications:
Redwood Day seeks an outstanding After School Director to lead our program to the next level. This is a part-time position (75-80% FTE) reporting to the Assistant Head of School. The After School Director is responsible for all areas related to the operation of the after school program (“X-Care”), including, overseeing curriculum/program development, facilitating recruitment and retention, fostering professional development of X-Care staff, implementing strategic initiatives related to the after school experience, and ensuring overall student well-being in the program. In addition, the After School Director is responsible for encouraging student engagement, leadership, and expression of school values in all after-school offerings
Redwood Day is exploring the possibility of developing an “in-house” summer program for launch during the summer of 2020. So, this role has potential to grow into a full-time position that includes providing leadership and oversight of summer programming beginning as early as the 2019-20 academic year.
The ideal candidate possesses the following characteristics:
- Demonstrated success as an After School Director or equivalent in a school or education related setting (minimum of three years of administrative experience)
- An understanding of the developmental needs of children aged 5-11
- A love of working with children
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a high functioning team setting
- High energy and creativity
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Flexibility and patience
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum)
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Understands and implements the Redwood Day mission
- Manages all aspects of the after-school program, ensuring a quality educational and youth development experience for all participants
- Develops appropriate policies and procedures to maintain compliance with all relevant laws and regulations pertaining to student health and safety
- Collaborates with faculty and staff to ensure that programming is aligned with the mission of the school
- Implements creative solutions to enhance programming in line with strategic initiatives
- Develops and maintains a strong relationship with school staff, including scheduling regular check-ins with the Head of School, Assistant Head of School and Director of Student Life/Dean of Students in collaborative meetings
- Collaborates with the Lower and Middle School Directors to provide after-school electives that correspond with K-8 programming – e.g., STEM-related programming, arts curriculum, etc.
- Coordinates programming with partner organizations, volunteers, and outside service providers for after-school activities
- Determines ongoing needs/interests of students, parents, and school staff and reviews and revises after-school program offerings to meet emerging needs/interests
- Engages in regular evaluation of program to continually improve the student experience
- Purchases and prepares materials for activities as needed
- Recruits and retains all after-school staff, including evaluating and assessing their needs for ongoing professional development and staff schedules
- Maintains accurate attendance records
- Facilitates activity clubs, when appropriate
- Oversees the budget for the after-school program and ensures all expenditures are approved and within budget
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Assistant Head of School
Redwood Day offers highly competitive compensation and benefits.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and state laws. Employment at Redwood Day is “at-will”. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers are contingent on passing a background check and TB assessment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and Redwood Day application form (available at https://www.rdschool.org/page/about-us/employment-opportunities) and submit it electronically by February 27, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: John Loeser, Head of School and Cheryl Ting, Assistant Head of School.
Redwood Day is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, religion color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, transitioned, transitioning or perceived to be transitioning), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy and breastfeeding, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful consideration by federal, state or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. In addition, Redwood Day does not permit discrimination based on dressing consistently with one’s gender identity or gender expression, or preferred gender, name or pronoun usage.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com