Children's Day School
Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade serving over 470 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe that by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways, we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
CDS is looking for a Full Time Music Teacher for our preschool – fourth grade students.
Grounded in the principles of Orff Schulwerk, our music program offers students the opportunity to engage with music through play, improvisation, composition, and performance. During weekly music classes, lower school students explore musical concepts while singing, listening, and playing instruments, and through creative movement. Students learn to recognize and demonstrate the basic musical elements of melody, rhythm, harmony, texture, tempo, dynamics, timbre, and form. Music class also provides a vehicle for students to practice empathy, explore feelings, and connect to the world around them as they are introduced to the many functions and forms of music around the world, creating a solid foundation for artistically literate citizens.
Lower school performance opportunities include the annual winter performance and Friday assemblies. Our music teachers also lead periodic all community sings and collaborate with classroom teachers to enhance projects and studies that are happening in the classroom. This position may also include course offerings in our extended care program.
This position begins in August, 2019
- Collaborate, problem-solve and communicate with middle school music teacher as well as with classroom teachers.
- Teach inspired, fun, developmentally appropriate music classes on a weekly basis for preschool and elementary students.
- Create, prepare and direct the children for a yearly musical performance for each Division.
- Communicate with classroom teachers around integrating classroom curriculum topics into music class
- Provide creative leadership and musical accompaniment at our weekly all-school Friday assemblies
- Support classroom teachers with musical performance requests at weekly assemblies
- Complete student progress reports twice each year
- Support and respond to the intellectual, emotional, social, and physical needs of the students.
- Active participation in weekly meetings with colleagues and supervisors.
- Efficiently manage Lower School music budget.
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong commitment to building a learning community where the people, culture and curriculum reflect the racial, ethnic, economic and family diversity of San Francisco.
- Ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, and form effective partnerships with teachers, administrators and parents.
- Willingness to give and receive effective feedback to and from students and colleagues.
- Commitment to developing professionally as an educator and supporting the development of others.
- Passion for working with elementary-age youth.
- Respectful authority in the classroom.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in technology.
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong vocal skills or play a musical instrument, preferably both
- Experience in teaching music and creative movement and an understanding of the Orff Schulwerk approach.
- Strong classroom management skills and training in Responsive Classroom (or willingness to be trained)
- BA degree in a related field. Candidates with Early Childhood Education credits preferred.
- Spanish speaking a plus
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered including medical, dental and vision insurance and a retirement plan.
CDS is a racially and ethnically diverse community and we seek the same in our faculty and staff.
Apply online at http://careers.cds-sf.org/
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and state laws. Employment in California is “at-will”. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers are contingent on passing a background check and TB assessment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com