Children's Day School
Children’s Day School (CDS) is a co-educational preschool through eighth grade serving over 475 students in the Mission Dolores neighborhood of San Francisco. Spanning two campuses, and home to a diverse community of students, faculty and families, CDS is a vibrant learning community. Our teachers practice constructivist teaching; born of “learning by doing,” it is how we achieve excellent academics. We believe that by encouraging children to fully engage in complex topics, and in myriad ways, we are giving them tools to become lifelong learners and passionate citizens of the world. To learn more about CDS, visit our website at www.cds-sf.org.
CDS is looking for a Full Time Music Teacher for our fifth – eighth grade students. Our music program offers students the opportunity to engage with music through play, improvisation, composition, and performance on a variety of instruments including ukulele, guitar, pitched and unpitched percussion and voice. During weekly music classes, middle school students explore musical concepts while singing, listening, and playing instruments. Students learn to recognize and demonstrate the basic musical elements of melody, rhythm, harmony, texture, tempo, dynamics, timbre, and form. Music class also provides a vehicle for students to practice empathy, explore feelings, and connect to the world around them as they are introduced to the many functions and forms of music around the world, creating a solid foundation for artistically literate citizens.
Middle school performance opportunities include the annual Spring Spectacular and Friday assemblies. Our music teachers also lead periodic all community sings and collaborate with classroom teachers to enhance projects and studies that are happening in the classroom. This position may also include course offerings in our extended care program.
This position begins in August, 2019
Work with students
- An unwavering commitment to middle school students and the community
- Enthusiasm for the opportunities and challenges inherent in working with middle school students
- Support and respond to the intellectual, emotional, social, and physical needs of the students.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with students, colleagues and parents
- Willingness to model professional and ethical standards when working with students and the 5/6 and 7/8 Teams
- The desire and ability to contribute to student and community life inside and outside the classroom
- A commitment to professional development
- A commitment to social justice and multicultural education
Curricular content and instruction
- Teach inspired, fun, developmentally appropriate music classes on a weekly basis for fifth through eighth grade students.
- Create, prepare and direct the students for a yearly musical performance.
- Collaborate, problem-solve and communicate with the lower school music teacher, the middle school art and drama teachers, and classroom teachers.
- Communicate with classroom teachers around integrating classroom curriculum topics into music class
- Provide creative leadership and musical accompaniment at our weekly all-school Friday assemblies
- Support teachers with musical performance requests at weekly assemblies
Other responsibilities may include:
- Serving as a homeroom teacher
- Being an advisor of 10-12 students (prior training in Responsive Classroom is desired but not necessary)
- Leading or co-leading an affinity group related to race/ethnicity, family structure, gender, religion, sexual orientation or other aspects of identity
- Participating in an overnight environmental education trip
- Performing lunch, recess, morning, and dismissal duties as assigned
- Writing narrative reports for all students
- Maintaining contact with parents
- Participating in student-led conferences
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong vocal skills or play a musical instrument, preferably both
- Experience in teaching music
- Strong classroom management skills and training in Responsive Classroom (or willingness to be trained)
- BA degree in a related field. Candidates with Early Childhood Education credits preferred.
- Spanish speaking a plus
Salary will be based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered including medical, dental and vision insurance and a retirement plan.
CDS is an equal opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability, and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.
Apply online at http://careers.cds-sf.org/
Your application should include:
- Cover letter
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and state laws. Employment in California is “at-will”. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers are contingent on passing a background check and TB assessment.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org