Marin Academy seeks experienced candidates for the position of Communications Associate, a member of the Advancement Team reporting to the Director of Communications. Please note that this is a half-time position with benefits.
Marin Academy’s diverse online community, consisting of students, parents, alumni, parents of alumni, grandparents, prospective families, and neighbors, exists everywhere across the social web: from Marin Academy’s website to Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube; from LinkedIn to all levels of the blogosphere. Marin Academy seeks to take its mission of “think, question, and create” to a new level with the opportunities the changing web and media landscape presents.
The successful candidate for this new position has either experience in the independent school community and knowledge of its culture and structure or is an experienced community and media manager capable of coming up to speed quickly as a deeply knowledgeable and responsive community member. Both would be ideal. The position requires a true love for the social web, photography, and writing, and a very genuine interest in connecting with groups and individuals. Creativity and responsiveness are critical to this position.
There are three main responsibilities of this position:
1. Identify and participate in the Marin Academy community across the web in several ways: sparking/joining conversations, answering questions, creating engagement, and making personal connections.
2. Listen to the community and report back to Marin Academy staff and administrators in order to help understand and address constituent needs.
3. Produce engaging written and photographic content for an interactive audience via social media, the MA website, email newsletters, and other publications.
· Maintain and enhance Marin Academy’s presence on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) and explore other avenues of social media engagement.
· Manage the documentation of Marin Academy activities via photographs and text; with Director of Communications, select and manage internal photographers/videographers and external vendors. Willingness to pick up a camera and get images that are needed is a must.
· With Director of Communications, help produce the weekly email newsletter and other email projects as needed.
· Provide other writing and website support as necessary.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Excellent project management skills
· Impeccable writing and editing skills for print, web, and other public relations needs
· Demonstrated ability to develop a genuine and authentic organizational voice and following through social media tools, and gift of sparking conversations that draw others in; thorough knowledge of social media tools
· Honest, authentic, engaging personality with an organized, creative, enthusiastic work style and excellent communication and customer service skills
· Knack for “listening” in communities
· Ability to manage large quantities of digital media (photographs and media) and ability to select the most relevant and pertinent images/footage
· Ability to self-start and identify new areas of exploration
· Knowledge of photography, video, and/or Adobe Creative Suite preferred
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and samples of work via email to Katie Pfeiffer at email@example.com.
About Marin Academy
Marin Academy is a co-educational independent high school of 400 students and approximately 90 employees. Our mission asks every individual to think, question, and create in an environment of encouragement and compassion, and challenges each person to accept the responsibilities posed by education in a democratic society. The course curriculum is varied and deep, and our co-curricular program is incredibly strong with opportunities abounding in athletics, the arts, student-led groups, and outings. Marin Academy is an equal opportunity employer, and people of color and women are encouraged to apply for open positions. Salary and benefits are very competitive.
About the Office of Institutional Advancement
The Office of Institutional Advancement values the relationships it builds with alumni, students, parents, and friends, whose philanthropy and engagement provide the margin of excellence essential to the school’s mission. We are committed to sustaining and strengthening these relationships, and to developing new ones, to secure the resources the school requires as it continues to grow in stature. In partnership with the entire Marin Academy community, we strive to communicate the school’s excellence and innovation in education and scholarship, to encourage support for current and future needs, and to take full advantage of the talent and energy of our volunteers as they advance the goals of the school.