Located in the San Francisco Bay Area, The Nueva School is a nationally recognized, co-educational, independent day school for grades preK-8. The school recently announced its intention to expand its program preK-12, with a new high school at an additional site opening August 2013. Nueva offers a constructivist program, project-based learning, and special area teachers in design thinking, reading, math, science, visual and performing arts, music, physical education, technology, and social-emotional learning.
Nueva was founded with the unique mission of serving the special needs of high-ability children and of disseminating research to the greater community on best educational practices. Now in its 45th year, Nueva has flourished under these guiding principles and remains one of the leading PreK-8th independent schools specializing in education for gifted and talented children in the country.
The Facilities Operations Manager in this leadership role will be responsible for the coordination of maintenance, custodial, grounds, capital improvement projects, transportation, daily operations, and compliance with all safety, security, and emergency regulations in coordination with the School’s outsourced facilities and operations service provider Sodexo and its subcontractors. The School currently occupies approximately 80K square feet of facilities on a 33 acre campus in Hillsborough, CA, is expected to add a second interim site of approximately 10K square feet in the near term, and is in the process of developing a new, built-to-suit campus of over 100K square feet of facilities on an approximately 3 acre campus in San Mateo, CA over the next few years.
• Lead and coordinate internal and third party facilities and operations resources to ensure consistent weekday, evening, and weekend regular and special event coverage including with Sodexo and its subcontractors.
• Successfully manage, coordinate, monitor, problem-solve, and complete all maintenance, custodial, grounds, security and safety, operations and other recurring and nonrecurring service requests proactively, responsively and consistently
• Document all key facilities and operations related resources, processes and procedures to ensure continuous, consistent and improving internal and external customer success and satisfaction.
• Maintain proactive and effective communications with a variety of constituents.
• Identify opportunities for cost effective management by doing work in-house where feasible and externally if and as required.
• Solicit and manage bids, recommendations, contract review and negotiations with outside service contractors.
• Apply best practices for energy efficiency, waste management, and environmental stewardship.
• Conduct regular rounds to ensure campus is well-maintained and to inspect areas for safety, security, fire, and accident hazards. Observe, report, and remedy proactively infractions / issues.
• Assess need and budget, making recommendations for maintenance or special projects.
• Maintain prioritized list of maintenance and facility requests, giving timelines and regular updates to requestors/management.
• Maintain inventory of and function of all key facilities, equipment and other capital items.
• Participate in a leadership role in campus safety and emergency response committees and implement policies and procedures, and education plan.
• Maintain, update and test the School’s emergency plans and resources, including regular inspections, drills and permits as required.
• Manage and monitor campus parking, circulation, traffic and transportation matters including third party bus providers.
• Strong knowledge and hands-on experience with facilities maintenance and management.
• Strong operations and project management skills.
• Strong communication skills, responsive mindset, and successful customer service track record.
• Knowledge and experience in overseeing health, safety, and security programs and emergency preparedness.
• Experience coordinating small and large-scale capital improvement projects.
• Solid knowledge of ADA and Cal OSHA regulations.
• Problem-solver who is highly organized and analytical with ability to work under pressure of deadlines and multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong writing skills to prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, policies and procedures, and training documents.
• Excellent computer skills and facility with MS Office suite. Ability to easily learn new software programs.
• Ability to obtain, understand, and give adequate consideration to others’ priorities, opinions, and concerns, both to secure maximum input for analysis and solutions of problems and to assure reciprocal cooperation in working with a diverse constituency and staff.
• Initiative and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Demonstrated expertise and experience including education in relevant areas and/or equivalent experience/training with at least 10 years of hands-on facilities, operations and management experience.
• Ability to work/be available on an as-needed basis, including nights and weekends, and a willingness to be accessible off-hours in case of emergency.
• The physical ability to supervise and/or personally perform any and all facilities and operations related tasks on / across a multi-story, multi-building, multi-level, geographically-distributed (and soon to be multi-site) campus.
• Background/fingerprint check required.
• The Manager will report to the COO and collaborate closely with the business office. This will be a full time position with compensation including full benefits commensurate with qualifications including experience.