Educational Technology Support Specialist
About The College Preparatory School
Founded in 1960, College Prep is an independent coeducational secondary school created for intellectual risk-takers who want to pursue a purposeful education with kindred peers. Our mission is to prepare students for productive, ethical lives in college and beyond by fostering a stimulating education within an atmosphere of consideration, trust, and mutual responsibility. Our Technology Department is an energizing place to work and grow professionally and our technology program, including the 1-to-1 laptop program and Xlab (Makerspace), plays an essential role in supporting our mission and enhancing the teaching and learning landscape at College Prep.
Educational Technology Support Specialist Role
We seek an energetic full-time Educational Technology Support Specialist to support students, faculty, and staff in the integration of laptops and other powerful tools into their work and studies. The Educational Technology Support Specialist works closely with the Director of Technology Operations and the Director of Curricular Technology & Innovation to ensure the smooth and successful use of technology in all school programs.
The ideal candidate will possess strong organizational, communication, computer, and people skills, as well as an enthusiasm for independent school education. S/he also will demonstrate initiative, curiosity, flexibility, independence, patience, and a good sense of humor.
Educational Technology Support Specialist Responsibilities
- Providing end-user help desk support for over 400 students, teachers, and staff.
- Creating and updating online support tips, directions, tutorials, and documentation.
- Diagnosing and repairing hardware and software problems.
- Facilitating repairs with third party vendors and monitoring warranty work.
- Supporting users with Google Apps for Education and other supportive systems.
- Troubleshooting classroom AV technology issues.
- Providing multimedia set-up for special events.
- Assisting in network connection problems.
Technology Mentoring & Training:
- Supporting teachers and students with multimedia projects both in and out of class.
- Mentoring the Innovative Tech Student (ITS) Crew.
- Developing and teaching digital skills curriculum.
- Collaborating with the Xlab (Makerspace) Advisory Team.
- Leading student laptop orientation sessions.
- Proactively advising the school community of laptop and software-related issues.
- Fostering a culture of empowered self-help and troubleshooting.
- Assisting with faculty and staff professional development.
- Assisting with training of students related to digital tools and practices.
- Staying current with emerging trends and best practices in educational technology.
- Maintaining professional contacts with other schools and organizations.
- Installing, configuring, troubleshooting, and maintaining Mac OS and Windows desktops and laptops, iPads, other peripherals, software, network services, and campus technology systems, including printers and AV equipment.
- Maintaining accurate databases of hardware inventory, hardware maintenance, and software installation.
- Managing equipment checkout system, including loaner equipment, cameras, audio systems, and other peripherals.
- Processing new devices and distributing them to end-users.
- Documenting installation and configuration procedures.
- Helping to evolve and maintain collaborative and innovative lab spaces.
- Creating/updating software images for school computers.
- Assisting with programs that further the growth of the school technology program.
- Arranging for donation, sale, or recycling of older hardware.
- Fulfilling student advising and chaperone duties.
- Attending department meetings and faculty/staff meetings.
- Representing the Technology Department at school events.
- BA/BS degree.
- Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT) certification. (Preferred, but not required.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Highly proficient with Apple OS 10.8+, iOS, Windows 8, iWork, iLife, Adobe Creative Cloud, Google Apps for Education, and Microsoft Office.
- Detail-oriented, organized, collaborative, proactive team-player who is also willing/able to take the initiative on projects.
- Ability to prioritize and work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to climb a ladder to service classroom projectors and similar equipment.
- Must be physically able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Compensation: The salary and benefits for this position are competitive and include health, dental, and life insurance coverage, and a daily prepared lunch for Faculty/Staff.
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to Edwin Kirimi, Director of Technology Operations. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name and "Educational Technology Support Specialist, Spring 2014" in the subject line. Do not send a fax or paper copy. For more information about our school, visit our website at www.college-prep.org.
College Prep, as an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in its hiring of employees on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital or veteran status, age, or disability. We actively seek diversity among our faculty and administration as well as among our students.