The Nueva School, located in the Bay Area of Northern California and founded in 1967, is an internationally recognized independent school PK-9 expanding to PK-12 serving gifted and talented students. The school is a three-time winner of the US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award, winner of the American Institute of Architects Award for School Design and Sustainability, recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program, appointed an Ashoka Changemaker School, a co-founder of the Common Ground Speaker Series, sponsor of the Innovative Learning Conference, and was highlighted by the Pulitzer Prize-winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his recent book That Used to Be Us in the chapter Average Is Over.
Nueva is a student-centered school known for its distinctive integrated studies, constructivist projected based learning, and its pioneering work in social emotional learning and design thinking. The school also offers specialist teachers in visual and performing arts, music, physical education, reading, math, science, technology, programming, engineering, entrepreneurship, social emotional learning, and design thinking. Our school community inspires passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the imaginative mind.
Communications Associate / Manager (depending on relevant experience)
Responsibilities may include assistance with or primary responsibility for:
- Support school wide communications initiatives across all departments, programs, divisions, and campuses, including support of Head of School, admissions, advancement, partner, outreach, and other initiatives
- Execute, manage, and coordinate projects independently and with colleagues, vendors, volunteers, and partners, as required
- Work in written, photographic, and video formats in traditional and online mediums
- Maintain compliance with School and department standards, policies, and practices
- Maintain and manage the weekly, monthly, and annual communications calendar
- Content creation and production for the public and private websites, print publications, and electronic newsletters, including for example the Wavelength alumni publication, the Journal magazine, etc.
- Maintain and develop the School’s social media presence
- Produce the annual report and calendar
- Maintain the School directories
- Produce and place various print and online advertising
- Support and cover school events including in the evenings and on weekends as required
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned
- At least two-five years of professional experience as a communications or marketing professional in an agency, publications-based organization, educational institution, non-profit, or comparable organization
- Relevant professional experience might include editorial or advertising content creation, production, and management; account, project, and file management; writing, editing, copyediting, and proofreading; graphic and web design and production; photography and videography; and/or monitoring, maintaining, and developing social media presence
- Exceptional attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple project and production deadlines
- Exceptional communications skills including writing, editing, designing, and producing via print, web, and social media channels
- Experience with digital photography and video creation and editing
- Experience with graphic design and web site design and management
- Familiarity with advertising production and branding
- Ability and comfort working independently and collaboratively with colleagues, contractors, consultants, and volunteers
- Entrepreneurial, flexible, positive, can do attitude
- Understanding of and interest in the independent school culture
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Knowledge and skill in the use of software products, including Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office (including particularly Word, Powerpoint, and/or the Apple iWork equivalents Pages and Keynote), and web design and content management tools
- Demonstrated success in a high-performance, high-expectation environments
This is a full-time position. Compensation commensurate with experience.